Flower Boxes: Wood Working DIY Hanging Flower Boxes in My Master!

$10

This post is about how I built hanging flower boxes for my master bedroom! So this past winter I kinda went stir crazy with cabin fever. There really isn’t any explanation for it as we had an actually VERY short winter for us. But that doesn’t change the fact that I really did have a tough time personally. I just got so tired of the daily grind and the gray and the white and the never-seeing-the-sun and the every day being the same. Ugh. So, it occurred to me that maybe something green and growing in my master bedroom might just help brighten my winter days a little bit. So, I got to planning my flower boxes!

I decided to hang them because I have egress windows so I couldn’t put them on the sill where the crank handle is. At 27 inches wide I knew I could use 1x6s cut at that length and then a 1×4 in the bottom creating the depth. I gathered my materials and cut all of my pieces before assembling.

To assemble I used my brad nailer with my air compressor, you can use screws in this case but make sure and pre-drill before hand, anything that’s only the depth of a 1x will split. Once assembled I stained them with Minwax dark walnut stain and added some old wood to the fronts for character. Remember how that  old sink I used in the basement came in its original crate? Yup those two boards came off of that!

My next issue to deal with: How was I going to make these water tight? I looked all over for plastic inserts but none of them were the right size so I had to get creative: I caulked all of the inside seems (that is just a gray pure silicone caulk I had on hand) and then pressed a garbage bag into every corner and nook and crany and then cut off the excess. I then added even more caulk along the top edges (and that is just a clear pure silicone caulk that I also had on hand) to keep the garbage bag totally in place and let it dry over night.

To plant I added a second garbage bag (just to be sure we were TRULY water tight) and a layer of pine cones for both drainage and to help keep the weight down. From there I just used regular potting soil and planted.

I measured out from the edge of the window to the edge of the trim to center the hooks and make sure they were all the same distance out from the sides. The hooks I used I had on hand leftover from my mom’s chandelier. I did a little bit of pre drilling with a VERY small drill bit as I was having nightmares of these planters crashing down in the middle of the night SO they were VERY hard to screw in.

From there I purchased 50 feet of 3/8″ sisal rope from my local fleet store and it was just the job of cutting four pieces to length according to where I wanted the boxes to hang in the window. With them cut I tied a knot in them all at the same place and looped them over the hooks.

Oh now we come to the moment of a blogger facepalm, I was in such a rush to get these flower boxes built (and really excited too) that I forgot I had measured with the fact that I was going to put the sides/ends INSIDE of the walls of the boxes, just like I did with the bottoms. Yeah, so, I didn’t do that. So after all of that work I brought my now lovely (and fully planted and rather heavy) planters upstairs and they were 1/2 inch too wide. REALLY!?

So, as you can see, the planters with the sides/ends that I had finished and planted are missing those sides/ends in the after pictures of them hanging in the windows. It wasn’t a huge deal and only took me about ten minutes to fix but boy was I fed up with myself. So, I popped off the sides/ends (carefully peeling the caulk and garbage bag off of them) then cut them down, put them INSIDE the walls and bottom, tacked them into place with my brad nailer and then hauled the flower boxes back upstairs to finally loop them into the rope and call it a day.

Except for that little hiccup I sure am happy with them. I gave myself nearly two months to take the after photos and publish them here on the blog because I wanted the vines to have a chance to grow a little. In my head I imagine those vines spilling all the way down the window by next winter.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
GrandmasHouseDIY

• R
    R

Great idea using pinecones as a filler. I never thought of that and I have plenty. I usually put some styrofoam blocks, bunched up old t-shirts or rocks if I won't be moving it.

• Shirley Olson
      Shirley Olson

I mostly use pine cones as fillers.....especially in large planters, makes them lighter and easier to move around, plus you save on soil!

• Jen
    Jen

I like the pine cone drainage idea but I do wonder if it would make the soil acidic? If the plants like acidic soil then there is no potential problem using the pine cones.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Any problem with water leakage? They are totally a beautiful idea. I myself might go with a good quality fake plant. I think IKEA sells some pretty nice ones sometimes...... Again, I love your idea!

• GrandmasHouseDIY
      GrandmasHouseDIY

After two years one of the boxes finally started leaking but I needed to take them down and get the plants out of them at that point anyway as they did SO well they out grew the planter lol. Instead of trash bags at that point I used really thick drop cloth plastic plus recaulking all the interior seems. Ideally would be to find a plastic inset the size of the boxes.