Create an Accent Wall Using Decorative Rollers!!!

$50

Do you have a boring wall that needs to be transformed - I have a great idea for you!!! Using my simple techniques for creating stripes and my Stamping Rollers.
Rolling on the base coat!
I started with General Finishes Milk Paint in Linen as my base coat. I rolled on two coat of paint for a nice even opaque coverage. Then allow this to dry overnight - you will have less issues with taping if it's been dry for at least 24 hours.
Measuring & Taping off stripes
The next thing is doing the "math" and figuring out the striping pattern. First, measure the length of the wall (mine was 62" long) and then figure out the striping pattern. I used the 2" tape as the negative stripe (the Linen base coat will show) and was allowing 6.5" for the stripe for the roller pattern.

I needed 8.5" for the repeat of the stripes - divide 8.5 into 62 = 7.29. This gives me 7 stripes and approximately 2.5" which worked out almost perfect!!! I wanted to leave the negative 2" on both ends of the wall - so I did 2.25" to start with and that should leave the same on the other end of the wall!!!
Next we need to mark and tape those stripes. I like using a Watercolor pencil for marking the lines (you can wash this off the wall), a level and a quilters ruler. To start - measure out 2.25" using the quilters ruler (or whatever your repeat is) and mark the line using the watercolor pencil and level. Then tape off the stripe with Blue painters tape. Then measure the 6.5" and tape again.....make sure to place the tape just to the right of the watercolor pencil mark, so that you can wash it off the wall! Continue marking and taping until you have the entire wall completed.
All the stripes are taped off!
My wall is completely taped off and ready to be painted. Make sure to burnish the edges of the tape so no paint bleeds under.
General Finishes Chalk Style Paint
I used General Finishes Chalk Style Paint in Bone White for the stripe color - I also suggest using a Matte or Flat paint when planning to use the Stamping Rollers - the roll much better on the flat paints.
All the stripes have been painted with two coats of the Bone White by GF and I'm ready for the fun part!!!
Chrysanthemum Stamping Roller
Next, you will want to load the Foam applicator with your paint color - I used General Finishes Pearl Effects Champagne. (make sure to watch the video to see how to load the roller)!!!
Then just roll the pattern on the painted stripes - start from the top on the wall and roll to the bottom - watch the tape edge to stay straight. I was able to roll 6 stripes before needing to reload the foam applicator.
When pulling the tape - just roll it back on it's self instead of pulling away from the wall - this helps to prevent and base paint from coming off.
Pulling off the tape - the fun part.......
The completed wall - simply elegant in this tone on tone finish.
Here is a video showing how to use the Stamping Rollers.
General Finishes Paints used for this project!!!

• General Finishes Milk Paint - Linen  (https://generalfinishes.com/where-buy#.WU1ozWjyuUk)
  • General Finishes Chalk Style Paint - Bone White  (https://generalfinishes.com/where-buy#.WU1ozWjyuUk)
  • General Finishes Pearl Effects - Champagne  (https://generalfinishes.com/where-buy#.WU1ozWjyuUk)

Jennifer Weber Ferguson