Cncnc
Cncnc
  • Gainesville, FL

Backsplash and 4" Granite Removal

$1250
2 Weeks

I researched every post I could find about removing backsplash and the 4" granite piece too. I didn't come across very many photos of the 4" granite part, so we were undecided about doing that. Once we decided on the backsplash we wanted I knew we had to take that granite piece off or I wouldn't be happy with the work involved in replacing the current backsplash. We did the demo work and hired a local
Before
Before
Before we had a very busy backsplash that didn't work for us.
Before
Before
Be
Be
During
During
We used a razor knife to score the grout at the edge of the backsplash, then used a chisel and mallet to tap at an angle and chipped away at the old backsplash.

During
During
We scored the silicone on top of the 4" granite and also along the bottom where it touched the granite countertop. Then used the chisel and mallet to lightly hammer along the top edge of the 4" granite. We slowly wedged the chisel down and pried it forward until it gave and it popped free.
During - The old backsplash is gone!
During - The old backsplash is gone!
Some of the white covering on the drywall came off but it was not damaged to where we had to replace it.
During
During
backsplash and 4 granite removal
Pencil tile trimmed around window sill gives a nice finish.
During, before we painted the drywall buildup
Basket weave with pencil trim behind the range.
After
After
We are thrilled with how it turned out. These images were taken with my canon and the color is different then the photos taken with my iPhone.
After
After
backsplash and 4 granite removal
backsplash and 4 granite removal
backsplash and 4 granite removal
backsplash and 4 granite removal

• Bella Casa - Crema Marfil, 3×6 Beveled Polished  (http://www.fdtile.com)
  • Tile installation  (http://www.a-team-flooring.com)

• Jane Irish

What did you use between the pencil trim and the windowsill?
    • Cncnc

It is the wall paint. We didn’t want to go to the window sill and decided to line it with the pencil.

• Sar34123967

I love the tile you picked! What color is this? Did you do some sort of variation in types of color? I have similar counter tops and would love to see if this could work for us!

• Darlene Pearson

Love your new backsplash. I have my wall under my top cabinets done in a full granite backsplash, which I now find too busy, and would like to remove and do a tile backsplash.

How hard would it be to remove the full backsplash?

• Carla Harrod Hampton

I love the subway tile! It looks great in the kitchen, just as it looks great in a subway! Loved it when we saw it in the New York City subways and have wanted it ever since! Some day we’ll do it in our kitchen! Looks great!

• Much less busy than the original. Good job.