Panel Your Walls With Plywood!

$223

I have to give complete credit to all of you here on Hometalk who have put pallet wood on your walls, and to those who used stained plywood strips as flooring. (Curtsy!) I blended the two ideas together for my needs, and came up with stained plywood strips for my walls! Okay, let's get to work!
panel your walls with plywood
I went to Home Depot and bought 5 pieces of 23/32 BC plywood. I asked them to cut them into 6 inch lengths, whereas they informed me the thinnest they cut was 10 inches. Fine.  I asked them to cut the plywood into 12 inch lengths, then I brought them home and with my trusty circular saw and fence, I cut them into 6 inch lengths. I used my orbitor sander with 220 grit on it to make sure all the planes and edges were smooth and clean. BC plywood is really smooth on one side, but I just wanted to make sure there would be NO splinters! I had decided to stain my boards, so I did some research, and just about every serious woodworker used pre-conditioner on soft woods such as pine to curtail "blotching". Fine-right-whatever.  So I applied the pre-conditioner per instructions (and read these things! Each brand can be different!) then began the fun part of staining!
panel your walls with plywood
I decided on four oil stain colors. With 5 sheets of cut plywood, I chose to do two sheets worth of lengths in a clear coat, (to keep the room light) and a stain each for the other lenghts of plywood, with Gunstock as the orange color, American Heritage (on the left of the doorway) and Honey as the darkest. After staining them, I put a coat of satin quick-drying polyurethane on each. I'm sure I should have applied two coats, but it was fixing to rain forever, and I wanted to work indoors!!!!!
panel your walls with plywood
Yeah okay, I'm a Harry Potter fan and an animagus witch of Ravenclaw House...but I digress. Here is one of two walls that will be covered in this awesome wood! First, I have to take everything down. Sigh. But I'm at full throttle now, and raring to go!!!!
panel your walls with plywood
Took forever to move stuff! It's getting dark, the livestock needs fed, but I just HAD to start a bit, just to satisfy my need to see this go on! Grabbed my finishing nailer and started off,-ka-pock! Ka-pock!
panel your walls with plywood
I was in my zone! I wanted the colors to follow around the inner corner, and tried to keep the seams varied. I'd measure for a piece, use my finishing nail gun to secure it, -ka-pock!- sit back and decide which color to use next.
panel your walls with plywood
Ta-da! Two walls paneled in stained plywood! And you folk here on Hometalk that influenced me, please take a bow! Here's a beverage, you deserve it! I must mention that I had Helen Highwater working the cuts around plugs, doggy doors and circuit box. The last bit from the circuit box down took All.   
Day.  Long.
But, quite happy with the results! And see that I-beam overhead? That's my next project, boxing in the I-beams! Stay tuned!!!!

• 5 sheets of 23/32 BC plywood, @ 29.28 each  (from Home Depot)
  • Four cans of oil based Minwax stain @ 7.77 each  (from Home Depot)
  • 2 cans of min-wax pre-conditioner @ 11.97 each  (from Home Depot)

• Blinstrot

Did you use any insulation between the outside wall and your paneling? If not, why?
  • Sue Sanders

Your instructions show you cut in 6 inch length but all I see is the long boards. Where are the short boards.?
  • Anita

I want a nail gun.how do you like yours ?
    • Patty Anderson

I have a Porter Cable nail gun (shoots big nails like for construction) a finishing nailer (which is what I used here and on LOTS of other projects) and a staple gun. It's like having just the right tool for your needs. I started off with a Porter Cable angled finishing nailer for this project. We've had it for years, but everything in it's own time wears out. And the Porter Cable did, frustratingly near the completion of the walls. So we bought a DeWalt straight finishing nailer gun. I don't know the pros and cons of a straight vs. an angled finishing nailer, that I would have to google. But I wanted versatility; I wanted to shoot finishing nails from 2 inches down to 1 inch, and the DeWalt does that. I figure as long as you get a name brand finishing nail gun, you will love it! They are just so handy, right next to the glue gun!

• Vicky Corey

Wow! That is stunning! Oh, I love your sense of humor!
  • Chris Willrett Gleason

Beautiful!!!
    • Patty Anderson

Thanks, Chris! It was fun! I had a blast putting the wood up, and figuring which color would go on next. If I didn't have sheetrock on the rest of the downstairs, I would have continued with this theme. But I have sheetrock, and after floating, I'll have to paint it. Hmmmmm, can you see the wheels going round and round.........