DIY Eggshell Candle Holder

$3

Every time I cook something with eggs I feel bad for trowing away the shells. They have a nice bright color, and a texture that is easy to work with. Having these in mind I came up with the idea of creating a nice decor element, practical (with double purpose), that is cheap and easy to make.

Materials:
1. Eggshells (the next time you are cooking, clean them with water and save them in a paper bag)
2. A glass (I used an empty small Nutella jar-because duh! we are recycling)
3. Glue (I used BIC glue, you can also use mod podge)
4. Spray paint of your choice( I love the golden one-it's a must have if you are a craft fan)
5. Some varnish (this is optional)
6. Something to fill your jar-a candle, a little plant, crayons-whatever you like

Spray paint the jar. Some of these paints are very toxic so I recommend to do this step somewhere outside and not in your room. Also don't try to make it perfect.It is going to be covered with egg shells anyway. Let it dry for a couple of hours, or over night.
Brake the egg shells in little pieces.
Apply some glue on the jar and spread it with a paintbrush. Then take a toothpick and dip it in the glue to collect the little pieces of shells more easily and place them on the jar. You can also do this with your hand but keep in mind that things may get sticky
After you are satisfied with the result let it dry-then you can apply the varnish
And that's it! You are done! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and found it helpful. You can also check out my Youtube Channel for more DIYs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdFA1UHKhZPdCZ-ZwQZRTUw

• Mary Coakley

Can you use glass for this project please?
  • Gale

Would it be a good idea to use a clear finishing spray or sealer?
  • Debbie Lujan

Should I bake the eggshells first or does that matter?

Adorable idea.

• Laura Dogariu

it doesn't matter. Crack some eggs and use in cooking, then wash the shells with water and dish soup to remove the yolk residue, and let them dry.

• Sharon Stamm

Having raised birds for years and using infertile eggs for craft purposes, my suggestion would be to boil or steam clean in microwave briefly. Egg shells are porous and can harbor bacteria which can cause an odor.

Possibly a caveat should be mentioned: shells will burn or darken if too hot of a candle is used. The suggestion of a battery votive is a great safely idea!

• That jar is cool, we don't have nutella jars like that in the states

• Bek

You know, you could dye the shells with Easter egg dye and use a battery-operated tea light to make a very pretty mosaic candle holder for a child's room, too.

• Laura Dogariu

yup! that would look amazing. And you can also use acrylic paint or nail polish instead of egg dye.