DIY Hose Holder and Lantern Hanger

$20
1 Day

Hubster had a couple 54″ 4×8 boards left over from one of his projects and asked if I wanted them. This obviously was a silly question, of course I did! I knew I would eventually find a purpose for these puppies!  Well, they have been sitting in the shop for over a year, but I finally came up with a project for one of the boards: a DIY hose holder and lantern hanger. Any projects that help to organize or clean up in or around the house is a winner in my book!

We have had an area next to the deck behind the house where there is a hose faucet, but no holder for the hose.   So,  the area looked like this:
Ugh, awful!  A DIY hose holder is definitely what I needed!  So off to the shop I went.  Here’s an abbreviated version of how I built my hose holder. Full details and instructions are on my blog at the link at the bottom of this post.

Cut the 4×8 board to 54″ in length. If possible, use pressure treated wood.  If availability to purchase a pressure treated board of that size doesn’t exist,  coat the board in at least three coats of a wood preservative.

Paint the 4×8 with an exterior white paint, and let dry completely.
While the paint is drying,  dig a hole that is at least 12″ deep and wide enough to accommodate the 4×8 board.
Next, mix up some concrete and surround the board with concrete in the hole, using a level to make sure all sides are level.
Cut the crown molding and top boards to size and attach to the post, then attach the finial. Coat the post and the top boards and finial with white paint.
Next, attach the lantern hanger and the hose holder to the post and add the hose and lantern.

Now it looks much more organized!

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Pinspired to DIY

• 62q10370829

Couldn't you put a solar light on top to light up at night.
    • Pinspired to DIY

The lantern hanging in the front of the post is a solar lantern. I could have put a light on the top instead, but it would have been difficult to find something to fit on top of a 4x8 post since most solar post caps are 4x4 or 4x6. Plus, I love the look of hanging lanterns, so I prefer those instead. :-)
  • Stephaney

I definitely love this idea do you possibly have an idea for a spot in/ on that where I can store all my hose attachments? Sprinklers all sizes, sprayers, ext...
    • Lyl32235877

I love this idea. We have a 5 acre front yard w/alot of hoses,can use a couple of these! Really nice!!

• Lynn

is the scalloped edging holding something in place on the deck? Could more edging be put down to create a finished look?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Lynn, The scalloped edging is there temporarily to block a hole in the lattice material that keeps animals from crawling under the rock. We just have to replace the lattice at some point, its on the to-do list. :-)

• Estasban

Well Done, Good clean look for not a lot of money. Now where is my shovel? 👷‍♂️

• Carey

Hi Stephanie, I too have recycled a letter box, that I keep my yard waste bags, gloves, hand tools, etc. in. I have a post on which to place it, previously it was placed on a corner of our deck. It has been the handiest way to keep my often used tools handy for use. I love this lantern and Hose holder. Excellent idea. For my sprinklers and timers, I have kept them in a bucket for years. it is easy to carry when needed both for putting away and for reinstalling in the spring.