Pinspired to DIY
Pinspired to DIY
  • Loomis, CA

DIY Hose Holder and Lantern Hanger

$20
1 Day

Hubster had a couple 54″ 4×8 boards left over from one of his projects and asked if I wanted them. This obviously was a silly question, of course I did! I knew I would eventually find a purpose for these puppies!  Well, they have been sitting in the shop for over a year, but I finally came up with a project for one of the boards: a DIY hose holder and lantern hanger. Any projects that help to organize or clean up in or around the house is a winner in my book!

diy hose holder and lantern hanger
We have had an area next to the deck behind the house where there is a hose faucet, but no holder for the hose.   So,  the area looked like this:
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
Ugh, awful!  A DIY hose holder is definitely what I needed!  So off to the shop I went.  Here’s an abbreviated version of how I built my hose holder. Full details and instructions are on my blog at the link at the bottom of this post.

Cut the 4×8 board to 54″ in length. If possible, use pressure treated wood.  If availability to purchase a pressure treated board of that size doesn’t exist,  coat the board in at least three coats of a wood preservative.

Paint the 4×8 with an exterior white paint, and let dry completely.
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
While the paint is drying,  dig a hole that is at least 12″ deep and wide enough to accommodate the 4×8 board.
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
Next, mix up some concrete and surround the board with concrete in the hole, using a level to make sure all sides are level.
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
Cut the crown molding and top boards to size and attach to the post, then attach the finial. Coat the post and the top boards and finial with white paint.
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
Next, attach the lantern hanger and the hose holder to the post and add the hose and lantern.

Now it looks much more organized!
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
diy hose holder and lantern hanger
Pinspired to DIY

• 62q10370829

Couldn't you put a solar light on top to light up at night.
    • Pinspired to DIY

The lantern hanging in the front of the post is a solar lantern. I could have put a light on the top instead, but it would have been difficult to find something to fit on top of a 4x8 post since most solar post caps are 4x4 or 4x6. Plus, I love the look of hanging lanterns, so I prefer those instead. :-)
  • Stephaney

I definitely love this idea do you possibly have an idea for a spot in/ on that where I can store all my hose attachments? Sprinklers all sizes, sprayers, ext...
    • Lyl32235877

I love this idea. We have a 5 acre front yard w/alot of hoses,can use a couple of these! Really nice!!

• Lynn

is the scalloped edging holding something in place on the deck? Could more edging be put down to create a finished look?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Lynn, The scalloped edging is there temporarily to block a hole in the lattice material that keeps animals from crawling under the rock. We just have to replace the lattice at some point, its on the to-do list. :-)

• Petra

Love this idea,very cute! and much cheaper than buying a hose holeder. They are so expensive

• Estasban

Well Done, Good clean look for not a lot of money. Now where is my shovel? 👷‍♂️