DIY Cinderblock Plant Shelves

$40

This is such a simple project, and it's actually kind of a classic from 80's college dorms, but if you plop some plants on it, suddenly it looks a lot more chic and fits right into your backyard! I love these shelves to hold flowers, herbs, and gardening tools! You can see this project and more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations
Start by grabbing two of your cinder blocks and laying them out where you're working about 3 feet apart from one another. I highly recommend working wherever you want the shelves to be, because these babies are HEAVY! Add construction adhesive to the top of each block.
Take an 8-foot 1X12 cedar board and cut it down to two 4-foot lengths. Take one shelf and put it on top of the cinder blocks. Give it a bit to dry - you can use the extra cinderblocks as a weight if you want.
Next, take your other two cinderblocks, put some construction adhesive on the top of the shelf, and plop them into place directly above the other ones.
You know the drill - use your construction adhesive to apply the second shelf.
Let it dry, add plants, and enjoy! You can really get creative with the finish on this - you can paint the cinder blocks, paint or stain the shelves - go crazy! I left mine plain because I really like the look, but the possibilities are endless.

Love & Renovations

• Anne Coppes

won't the boards warp if left outside in the weather?
    • Cam9830212

Use weathered lumber that is treated before you assemble.

It's a bit more expensive but you must use this if you want to prevent loss.

• Carol Johnston

With all that weight of the plants why glue the boards? Then you can take it apart for any reason.

• KO

I have been looking for cinder blocks for years. Where do you get them?? They are not sold at Lowes or Home Depot.

• Frances Collins

What a great idea! I am in my late 70's and can't bend or reach easily. I have 24 large pots on my patio and no more room. This idea would let me have small plants and herbs. Can't wait for warm weather! Thank you!

• Janerose

This is great, I may try it in a few weeks when weather is better...thinking I may put chicken wire or something on the back of the cinderblocks add soil n get a vertical garden started as well...thx, great job.