DIY Cinderblock Plant Shelves

111K Views
This is such a simple project, and it's actually kind of a classic from 80's college dorms, but if you plop some plants on it, suddenly it looks a lot more chic and fits right into your backyard! I love these shelves to hold flowers, herbs, and gardening tools! You can see this project and more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations
Time: 1 HoursCost: $40Difficulty: Easy
  • diy cinderblock plant shelves
Start by grabbing two of your cinder blocks and laying them out where you're working about 3 feet apart from one another. I highly recommend working wherever you want the shelves to be, because these babies are HEAVY! Add construction adhesive to the top of each block.
  • diy cinderblock plant shelves
Take an 8-foot 1X12 cedar board and cut it down to two 4-foot lengths. Take one shelf and put it on top of the cinder blocks. Give it a bit to dry - you can use the extra cinderblocks as a weight if you want.
  • diy cinderblock plant shelves
Next, take your other two cinderblocks, put some construction adhesive on the top of the shelf, and plop them into place directly above the other ones.
  • diy cinderblock plant shelves
You know the drill - use your construction adhesive to apply the second shelf.
  • diy cinderblock plant shelves
Let it dry, add plants, and enjoy! You can really get creative with the finish on this - you can paint the cinder blocks, paint or stain the shelves - go crazy! I left mine plain because I really like the look, but the possibilities are endless.

Suggested materials for this project:

• 4 cinder blocks
  • 8-foot 1X12 cedar board
  • Construction adhesive
Love & Renovations

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!