I had an old seized up broken kids bicycle in my back yard that kept been moved and kicked around so I decided to try and make something out of it. Well part of it. I may at some stage go back and try and make something out of the rest of the bike but for now I will just use the front wheel for the lazy Susan.
Time: 1 DaysCost: $20Difficulty: Medium
To start have a look at the video above to see how it’s made or follow the guide also below.
I started off by taking the front wheel off (approx 16 inches (406 mm) in diameter) the bicycle using two spanners and then removing the tyre and tube.
I had a scrap piece of metal in my shed to use as a base. Using an angle grinder I cut this into a circle to clean up the jagged edges. The diameter of this was 6 3/4 inches (171 mm)
I then tack welded the axle of the wheel to the base. I cut some pieces of wood to prop it and keep it in place until welded. Spin the wheel to see if it’s balanced. It will look like its wobbling if not. If it is tap it one way and spin again. Repeat if necessary. When you’re happy fully weld it.
I ripped some ½ plywood into 3 inch (75 mm) strips. I then set the depth on my miter saw to cut about 3/4 of the way through the plywood. I put multiple cuts (about every ¾ inch) along the plywood strips.
After drilling holes in the rim I set about screwing the strips to it. The cuts in the plywood allow it to curve around the rim without breaking. Where there was a join I used a half lap joint and plenty of glue to hold it together.
To add some strength and for somewhere to attach the top I fitted in some 1 x 2 wood. I also used half lap joints to join them together.
I wanted the top to look about an inch thick but I only had limited amount of ½ inch so I took the long and tedious route of cutting, gluing and pinning lots of pieces to make it look thick. It would be easier to watch the video than me trying to explain it.
When the glue had dried and the pins removed I made quick jig for my router to cut the outside and inside diameter of the top. The cuts were done with multiple passed so it wouldn’t put too much pressure on the cutter.
At this stage after filling any holes and sanding them, I painted on a primer/ under coat before applying two top coats of white paint.
When all was dry I attached the top with screws from the underside. Before using I fitted some felt to the bottom of the base to protect the table from scratching.