Turn Some Old Cookie Tins Into a Beautiful Tiered Stand

$2

Old cookie tins are everywhere! Here is a great project to upcycle a few and get yourself organized for the Fall or make a cool new Home Decor piece that can be used in so many ways.
I have been making the rounds of the dump "stores" this summer on a regular basis and found these old cookie tins one week.  There are sooo many of these tins out there that I wanted to upcycle them into something useful and make a tiered stand.

Tiered stands are perfect to use just about anywhere in your space.   This one was either going to be for office things or decor... frankly I'm still not sure ;)
Each of the tins got two coats of Country Chic Paint in Coastal Fog on all sides to start. Coastal Fog is a beautiful cross between grey and beige... greige.  I love how it pulls in both the greys and beiges in a space.
To give the tins some space between them, I cut two of those spindles I never seem to run out of in half and gave them a coat of Fusion Mineral Paint in Casement.
Before adding the spindle, I needed to find the middle to make sure the stand stood true.

Here's a little trick to find the middle of each tin... Trace the tin on a piece of paper.  Cut out the circle and then fold in quarters.  Once you have the middle, place the paper back on the tin and drive a nail through the centre. 

Once you have the middle marked, you will know where to add the glue.

I used Gorilla Glue to keep all of the pieces of my tiered stand together.  I tried several different glues and this was, by far, the best one.
To help with organization (and because I still wasn't sure what I was going to put in each tin) I painted on little labels.

When Fusion Mineral Paint is dry, you can write on it just like a chalkboard!  I used Midnight Sky for my labels.

I also added some little wood knobs (that came with my hoard of spindles!) as feet.

I still can't decide where I want to use my tiered stand but maybe that's the best part... I can switch it up and use it in different places when the fancy strikes :)
Drop by the Recreated Designs blog to see more pictures from this project and other paint projects, vintage finds and upcycles...

• Cookie tins  (thrift store)
  • Spindle  (thrift store)
  • Paint  (Local Stockist)

Recreated Designs

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Nifty idea👍👍, that would also be useful in a sewing room ? Cookie tins, wait till Christmas. They show up around then..
    • Darci

you can always find them at thrift stores.
  • Janet Scafidi

how about a turning stand for the bottom

• Judy Gracey

I think I've seen the lazy susan turntables at the Dollar store.
  • Ang11392205

Lovely idea, looks great, but for the life of me I can't figure out how you cut one spindle in half and still got two even piece with round ends? By what I'm looking at its impossible. Surely you cut two so they'd match. Yes? No?
    • Vicky Corey

She does say 2 spindles cut in half and shows a picture of 2.

• CAV

Nice, I could use this in my craft room for beads. I have a spare turn table, I bought to make a key tree. But think I'll use it on a bead tin stand instead. Thank you for sharing.

• Liz Weiss

I used three decorative plates as a jewelry stand. Love it but your idea is even more clever.