Sabrina
Sabrina
  • Canada

Fixing a Walkway With Sinking Stones

$60

Our landscape was a huge selling feature for us when we moved in—green grass, nice landscaping, minimal maintenance—we loved it all. Then somewhere along the line, we started noticing changes. Our once sturdy walkway slowly began shifting away.

Although we have attempted numerous times to adjust these sinking stones, it never really stayed in place. After a season change, we were right back at square one.
fixing a walkway with sinking stones
We purchased the supplies need—landscape aggregate (gravel), plastic pavers edge, 10″ spikes and polymeric sand.

fixing a walkway with sinking stones
After we removed the stone, we dug out all the old gravel and made sure we had about a 4″ depth. We were told the key to guaranteeing long life is to get a solid, level base. We created a new 4″ bed of compacted gravel. We extended it just slightly past the stone just enough for the pavers edge to sit on.
fixing a walkway with sinking stones
The plastic pavers edge acts as a wrap around each stone we are fixing. We trimmed it to the proper size and set it in place using 10″ spikes that we hammered into the compacted gravel. The spikes sit underneath the stone so make sure you dry fit everything prior to securing so you know exactly where to place the edging.
fixing a walkway with sinking stones
We repeated the same steps to each of the 5 stones we fixed and so far it seems pretty solid.
fixing a walkway with sinking stones
We used black mulch to cover the exposed dirt which, will do two things, 1) cosmetically enhance the curb appeal and camouflage the black pavers edge and 2) provide some protection to the exposed dirt and stop some of the erosion from occurring.

The last step is to fill the joint lines with polymeric sand which will not only hold everything in place but add the finishing touch. The stones must be completely dry (not just the surface but all the way through) before you can add the sand.  We were also told for optimal results to make sure there was no rain in the forecast for the next two days. Since it has been raining on and off like crazy at the time we did this, we weren’t able to apply the sand. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and I’ll post our updates when we complete this step.
I can’t wait to show you our plans with our front door next week!
Sabrina

• Mer15720035

what could I put over an existing cracked walkway to enhance a rental property without costing very much.....thanx

• Robert Rusk

Make sure you check with the landlord, but I have seen some beautiful painted sidewalks. The cracks you can take care of with some filler from Lowe's. Now I'm not talking crazy colors, but be artistic. Good luck. Gigi

• Wolf

In order to add the polymeric sand you will have to remove all of the filler presently between the stones. That will be a tedious job. How do you plan on doing this?

• Sto28944377

I went to the maker of one of the polymeric sand companies and they said to power wash the stones and edges and that would remove the old sand (if any was left) and let the pavers dry completely before finishing the process. My best gestation is do what I did and go to your polymericsand makers site! Very useful info.

• Gaylyn Shoemaker

You could use a shop vacume to get the sand out of the cracks??

• Margaret

The black mulch looks like freshly tilled rich earth and does enhance your doors and under eve color. Your entrance looks sophisticated and does not need anything else to clutter it unless you decide you want to add something. Simply elegant!

• Wolf

Great job. Perhaps you could give it some real curb appeal by adding some low globe bushes along the walkway and where the single tree is in the mulch.