Drawer Shelves

250K Views
There are many projects to be found, similar to this one, but it doesn't hurt to share another style or repurpose, now does it? :)
I found these very solid wood drawers at a country yard sale and got them for 50 cents each. Can't beat that!
They were old, to be sure, but I knew that some primer, paint and paper could spiff them up nicely. Here's what I did ...
Time: 3 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • drawer shelves
I removed the old hardware and will keep them for another purpose one day. These drawers are heavy and solidly built, but they needed to be lightly sanded, cleaned and then painted.
  • drawer shelves
I knew I could easily cover up those stains on the inside with some primer and either more paint or some paper.
  • drawer shelves
Here they are, covered in two coats of primer. I use Zinsser BIN 1-2-3 latex primer. One of the drawers looked a bit yellow once the primer had dried, so it bled a little bit. No worries! I knew that there'd be more paint applied and it would be fine.
  • drawer shelves
I used chalk paint on both drawers, Crooked Label (a company whose paint I just loved, but that doesn't exist anymore :( ) in "Calm" on the inside and "Moon" on the outside. I did two coats, but this photo shows what it was like after one coat.
  • drawer shelves
I then papered the drawer that bled through the coats of primer. It looked fine with the added paint, but I wanted something different for the bathroom shelf, where this drawer was going to be used. I printed out free graphic images I found online and used Mod Podge to apply it and then seal it. I also applied a couple of light coats of a spray sealer.
  • drawer shelves
It's nothing fancy, but this is at our cottage and it works beautifully! I love the added whimsy of the nautical-themed paper on the inside and it keeps things off the top of the toilet. I cut a piece of wood to create a small shelf, painted it and screwed it in on the sides, sinking the screw head a bit.
  • drawer shelves
  • drawer shelves
This is what I did with the second drawer. It is in our cottage kitchen and is a great place to display a few things (that used to be on top of our fridge which drove me crazy!).
  • drawer shelves
Like the other drawer, this was chalk painted, then sealed with a spray varnish.
  • drawer shelves
I had these antique looking glass knobs that I screwed into the existing handle holes on the side of the drawer for a touch of whimsy. I love it!
  • drawer shelves

Suggested materials for this project:

• Chalk paint  (Vintage shop)
  • Zinsser BIN 1-2-3 latex primer  (Home Depot)
  • Mod Podge  (Amazon)