How To Hang Art On A Bookshelf And Still Have Easy Access To The Books

$8

I have always loved the look of bookshelves that have art hanging on the front of them. Especially in small rooms, it is a great way to create more "wall space". But I have never done it before because it seemed to make getting to the books very awkward.

how to hang art on a bookshelf and still have easy access to the books

I finally decided to try it when I was organizing my office.

Click HERE to see more of my DIY office organizing projects.

I have these shelves where I store books and binders that I use all the time. So not only did I want the picture to look pretty, but I had to be able to get to the things behind it. As a bonus, it would help to hide the ugly binders.

Start by attaching some hinges to the back of the picture frame.

I put them on the side of the frame so that the picture would open out. But you could put them on the top if you have a shelf at the right height and you want the picture to open up instead of out.

Then figure out how high the picture needs to be. Make sure that the hinges are lining up where they can be attached to the shelf.

This would be easier with a helper...but since I didn't have one, I put all those books to use!

Attach the hinges to the side of the bookshelf.

Now I needed something to keep the picture closed against the shelves.

You can buy special door hardware that will do this, but since I had an angle bracket and a magnet on hand, I did a DIY version instead.

In either case, attach the door stop (in my case the angle bracket) to the opposite corner of the shelf where the free end of the picture frame will hit it.

Then attach the magnet or strike plant to the picture frame making sure it is in the right location to hit the bracket.

Now I have a picture on my bookcase that hides those ugly binders.

But still have easy access to everything behind it.

It worked so well that I ended up doing the same thing with a mirror on the other side of the shelves.

Click HERE to see all of the details and step-by-step pictures for this project.

Wanda @ From House To Home

• Cmh29738869

The link does not lead to the hinges you used. Where do I find those kind of hinges?

• Nate

I love this idea, one I plan on using. But I think when I do I’m go to use smaller pictures and make a “gallery type”, if you will. I love this idea and would never have thought of it on my own, thank you Wanda! That’s why I love Hometalk- it inspires me!

• Tricia

Why would you offset the picture and mirror and not square it with the book shelves? It’s a wonderful idea to utilize space but to me it looks awkward.

• Jeanne Martin

As I see it, you would have to make sure there is free space for both hinges so it may mean they can't be lined up perfectly. Like a horizontal shelf board might be in the way so it would have to be raised or lowered. Make sense?

• Petra

I love how easy this is to do and how beautiful this looks.

• Lynda C

To complete the look, I would remove the wire hanger from the back of the frame, add some decorative wallpaper on the back of the frame so that it looked nice when open - perhaps another picture minus its frame with mounting to equalize the size difference. Just a thought....