Giving the Kitchen Table a Face Lift

$40

My kitchen table needed a face lift. I had refurbished it several years ago but, I was ready to give it a newer brighter look. I decided to go the Unicorn Spit way. My kitchen has green and blue on the walls. I knew that with Unicorn Spit I could make the kitchen pop with color.
My first step was to wrap the skirt and legs of the table as I wanted to keep those as they were. No change needed to those.
Both of these first two photos are after sanding had begun. My first sanding was with coarse sanding paper. Next I followed up with a medium gauge paper and then a fine. Believe me the sanding was the hardest part.
Next I applied the Spit. I apologize for not photographing the pattern that used to apply the Spit. Once you have put the Unicorn Spit on the table you spray it with water to activate the paint. The next step is to lay a thin gauge drop off over the top. Spray the top of the drop cloth with water and begin gently wiping your hands over the cloth to begin working the paint into a collage of colors. This is really a lot of fun.
After you have gotten the pattern the way you want it gently lift the drop cloth straight up. It takes 2 people to place and remove the cloth. As the paint dries it takes on a very chalky appearance. You will wonder "WHAT HAVE I DONE?" Have no fear the table has to be sealed. I use Oil based Polyurethane. As the Unicorn Spit is a water based/water activated paint it must be sealed.
After first coat of Polyurethane. After the first coat of poly my husband stood in awe. He could not believe what he was seeing. By the end of the process he said this is to pretty to eat on!
After 3 coats of polyurethane it was brought into the kitchen and put into its rightful place.
Into the center of the table I place my Unicorn Spit bottles that I just recently designed.
Now I am just loving my new old table. As I always say "Everything Old is New Again".

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Deborahcompton

Can you do this with a veneer table top?
    If so how?
    • Jo Ann Spofford

Yes, you can. Just remember when sanding veneer to be cautious. If you sand to deep you'll cause the veneer to start peeling away form the surface that it is attached to.
  • Donarae

So does the oil base sealer dry or does it remain tacky and do you have to do add treatments to keep it from getting water spots and heat spots from use?
  • Unm31717661

I don't understand the purpose of the drop cloth?
    • Cindymamabear

Did you learn how to do your bottles from the Unicorn Spot site and are there any tricks to bottle painting to make it go easier?

• Diana Deiley

Gorgeous table. My favorite color combo. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    (p.s. I use wipe on polyurethane which is oil based and apply it with an old piece of t-shirt. Goes on smooth and easy, comes in a gloss finish as well.)
    Can't wait to see what you create next.
    • Diana Deiley

I use Minwax wipe on polyurethane. It's oil based, so wear gloves. Goes on like baby oil which makes is easy to apply. I'd suggest one light coat, let dry overnight, apply second coat. I'm pleased with all the projects I used this on. Best of luck. (ps I'm not a paid spokesperson, just a satisfied consumer.) Best of luck.

• Teresa

This is so beautiful!!!