Coastal Christmas Mantelpiece Tutorial

$50

As a blogger, it is time for me to start getting my Christmas on! I am starting with my mantel this year and selected a coastal theme in blues and greens. This mantelpiece arrangement is the first project of this Christmas season for me.
The first thing I did to create this mantelpiece was to get a board about 24″ x 6 ” and adhere two of the velcro Command strips to the bottom of it.  This will give me added security when I put this on my mantel.  Next, I took a piece of styrofoam that was  2″ x  4″ x11″ , wrapped a piece of chicken wire around the front and top of it and nailed this to my board.  If I had left off the chicken wire, the weight of my arrangement could pull the nails right through the foam and it might end up on the hearth in pieces.
Now it was time to start building my arrangement.  I am going to make topiary trees to match this on each end of my mantel, so I began with some gray-green leaves.  These first four pieces are my template and all of my additional greenery will be placed within these pieces
I began filling in within that template with additional faux greenery.  
I added some sprays of sparkly green and gold branches that look like sea fans or spiky coral to begin to give my arrangement a coastal feel.
I adde some ornaments to my arrangement that will coordinate with those that will go on my tree. For details on how I attach my ornaments into my arrangement, see the posting at the blog! http://celebrateanddecorate.com/coastal-christmas/
I moved the arrangement to my mantel to see how I liked it, then added some ribbon loops and tails to my arrangement and only needed to add my coastal accents to finish up!  
The addition of some starfish, shells and some seahorse ornaments to complete the look.

Chloe Crabtree

• Bar17771312

My colors exactly! What would you charge for on? Even if not till 2018?
    • Chloe Crabtree

Wow, I am so complemented. Thank you. I would be willing to sell it for $95.00. I could get it shipped to you in time for Christmas this year if you are truly interested.

• Denese Curtin

Where did you get the seahorses? I’d love to make this for a different theme in 2018. Thank you.

• Ray4020687

Why chicken wire when you have the foam?

• Chloe Crabtree

When adding a lot of stems to the arrangement, the foam can eventually begin to break apart. The chicken wire will keep that fro happening. So, I guess I do it for a little insurance.

• Jewellmartin

Really inspiring. The colors I would enjoy rear around. Thanks! Jewell

• Kathy Kovacev

I absolutely love all your crafts. This one is exactly what I want to do for my dining table for christmas. Thanks so much and keep posting on DIY.