Amber Foster
Amber Foster
  • Durant, OK

How to Flock a Christmas Tree

$30

Last year on Black Friday I bought an amazing 7.5 foot pre-lit Christmas tree for $69. The tree is great and absolutely nothing wrong with it, but this year I wanted a flocked tree! If you don't know what a flocked tree is, its one of those beautiful snowy white trees. Even though I got an awesome deal on my tree last year, I just could not justify buying a new tree just for the snow. So, I did a little
how to flock a christmas tree
Here's what my tree looked like before I started.   I gave it a good fluff and assembled it in the garage. You want to do it in an area that allows easy clean up or outside.
how to flock a christmas tree
The first step is to make sure your tree is unplugged and then generously spray it down with water.  The water allows the flocking to stick to the tree.  Then I used a step-ladder to start at the top of the tree and sift the flocking over the tree, working my way towards the bottom.  The directions suggested spraying the flocking as it was sifted on to the tree, but I obviously wasn't coordinated enough for that so I just sifted in on at this stage
how to flock a christmas tree
After I generously coated as many branches as I could, I then sprayed the whole tree again with water.  Water activates the flocking and bonds it to the tree.  I was already loving the look of my tree, but it still didn't quite have the "look" I was after.  I needed to fill in a few spots in between branches etc. so I lightly added in a coat of cheap white spray paint through the tree.  I then gave it another spray of water, another sifting of flock, another spray down and then I gave it a good sprinkle of glitter all over!
how to flock a christmas tree
This is the final product before any decoration.
Amber Foster

• Diane Carroll

It's beautiful but is it fire retardant with the spray paint? I'm thinking no & worrying about the lights.
  • See8755015

It is beautiful, but does that mean your tree has to be replaced each year? I can't imagine that the flocking would look very good after four seasons in storage.
    • Amber Foster

i flocked this one last year and it still looks perfect this year. I think if I cover it with a drop cloth before storing this year it should last several more years at least.
  • Rosa Tingler

Why now just buy the cans of snow be alot better than the paint

• User

If you have a cheap fake tree you can make it look a lot nicer by placing it against a wall and unfold it into a half-circle shape.
  • Pat

sooooo nice very pretty