How to Make Mini Succulent Pumpkin Planters

$20

These Mini Succulent Pumpkin Planters are such a fun and easy craft idea to get you in the mood for fall. They are great for centerpieces on a Thanksgiving table, on your fall mantle or on your front porch (if you are lucky enough to live in an area without hard frost.)

All you need is some cute pumpkins, your favorite succulents, some cactus soil and a bit of moss.

For full tutorial and more visit The Hip Homestead.
Step 1: Gather your materials together and group together the succulents you’ll be planting together. I like to mix 1 bright coloured one, 1 complimentary colour and 2-3 fillers. Hen and chick is a great filler, it’s usually less expensive than the really colourful and tropical succulents. To learn more about succulents pop over to my blog The Hip Homestead
Step 2: Carefully cut the stem out of your mini pumpkin. I like to start small and then work around the opening to create a 2-3 inch opening in the top. Scoop out the pumpkin seeds.
Step 3: Fill the pumpkin 2/3 with soil, make sure to leave enough room for your larger succulents if they have fuller root balls. Loosen root balls or rinse away excess soil if necessary, to ensure the succulents fit in the pumpkin.
Step 4: Arrange your larger succulents around the pumpkin and use gentle pressure to secure them in place. I found that misting the soil with a bit of water helps stick them in place. Add your trailing succulents, if they have roots already ensure that the roots make contact with the soil so that they continue to grow. Add moss to the center of the pumpkin, this will help cover the roots and hide the cut edge opening of the pumpkin.
Step 5: Fill in with your small succulents, I’ve seen tutorials where they use florist pins to secure the smaller succulents in place, this would work well. I just wedged them in as fillers and they seem to be holding in place just fine. After the pumpkin is filled and the succulents feel secure, mist the pumpkin and the succulents well. This will help to tidy up any dirty bits of soil and help to get a bit of moisture on the roots of the succulents.
Ta-da, aren't they cute!
Repeat the steps for as many succulent pumpkin planters as you would like! Mist them lightly every 4-6 days and keep them in a bright location to keep them happy. These pumpkins should stay looking good for 10-14 days, maybe more! For extra tips on this project and other cool DIY's head over to my Blog The Hip Homestead, thanks!

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Jana The Hip Homestead