Being Home
Being Home
  • Boulder, CO

Super Simple DIY Tile Backsplash

$100

I have been wanting to add a backsplash above the stove for a while. The kitchen floor was recently redone (due to flooding) and I was going to have the same contractor add a backsplash above the stove for $200.00. This price was for labor only. I would need to provide the grout, thin set, and tile. Well, the contractor got very busy and two weeks went by. One night (Thursday), I finally decided to do the backsplash myself. Friday morning, I was at Home Depot gathering my supplies. Saturday, I was laying tile. Sunday, I grouted. Done!
DIY - Stove backsplash.
DIY - Stove backsplash.
These are the supplies I used. The metal trim edge that I used on the sides of the backsplash is optional. Because I only added a backsplash above the stove, I felt the metal trim edge tied everything off nicely.
This are the supplies I used.
This are the supplies I used.
Here is a before photo and some close ups of the stove backsplash.
Before - Stove backsplash.
Before - Stove backsplash.
Close up of the stove backsplash.
Close up of the stove backsplash.
Close up of tile and metal trim edge.
Close up of tile and metal trim edge.
I want to add that the price can vary. It obviously depends on the price of the tile you wish to use and square footage. However, there is minimal mess with the above supplies used and it is easy to do.
If you would like more detail on how I did my stove backsplash, I provide a tutorial on the link below. Maybe this will help you, if you wish to create your own tile backsplash. :)
Julie
BeingHomeDecor.com
Being Home

• Esther Nesamalar

Hi my name is Esther. I would like to change the present tiled backsplash which is about 5ft sq. It is not my choice of color. Could you please advice how to remove the tile the best way

• Dottie

I just removed all the tile in my bathroom. They make a special tool you can buy for about $10. It looks like a heavy duty putty knife, only wider and sturdier. Just start at the top or if you have a wall of tile in the middle, putting the tool either at the top of the tile or grout line. You’re also going to need a hammer. Tap the tool and start popping off tiles. It’s going to damage the drywall because the glue used to hold the old tile. If you’re going to paint, you’ll have to smooth the drywall either by replacing or using a filler. I just put up new tile. Using a tile glue too and starting with the bottom row middle, spread on the glue and place tile. Some tiles are self space, some are not. I used tile spacers. It was easy but time consuming.

• Carol

Where did you get the metal trim?

• Valerie

You did a fantastic job - it looks great!

• Diana Deiley

Beautiful job. I appreciate the 'finished' look with the edging. Thanks for sharing.