DIY Filing Desk

90K Views
I wanted to update my old filing cabinet desk and I didn't want to spend too much. I had these 6 year old filing cabinets bought from Walmart 6 years ago.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • diy filing desk
Here are my old filing cabinets! I took the handles off and gave them a nice thorough sanding all over. The picture shows the locks, but I did take them out before painting.
  • diy filing desk
Especially the bottom. This is what happens when you hurry to set up your room after cleaning the carpet and not making sure the carpet is dry. YUCK!!! Steel wool to the rescue!
  • diy filing desk
Removed the drawers and cut a piece of cardboard to fit the opening and bottom to prevent overspraying the inside.

If you have to ask where to get cardboard that size, you're not shopping Amazon enough.
  • diy filing desk
Fit the bottom with the cardboard.
  • diy filing desk
First, I sprayed with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, then when dry, top coated with Valspar Outdoor Anti-Rust Paint & Primer in a Satin Oceanic color.
  • diy filing desk
Let them dry.
  • diy filing desk
Sprayed the chrome handles with Valspar's Outdoor Anti-Rust Paint & Primer in a gloss Peacock Blue.
  • diy filing desk
I moved the filing cabinets back in - topped it with a section of countertop. You can find these at any store that sells countertops. This piece is 5' wide. I did put felt spacers/sliders on the TOP of the filing cabinets to prevent any scratching from the counter top and on the bottom of the cabinets to prevent scratching the floor.
It's starting to look like a desk!

You can easily drill a hole(s) in the countertop to fish your wires through, if you wish.

• diy filing desk
All finished! Those cabinets look SO much better now. I think I need a new chair....definitely a new chair cushion!
  • diy filing desk

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 5, 2018 10:17 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.