DIY Filing Desk

$10

I wanted to update my old filing cabinet desk and I didn't want to spend too much. I had these 6 year old filing cabinets bought from Walmart 6 years ago.
Here are my old filing cabinets! I took the handles off and gave them a nice thorough sanding all over. The picture shows the locks, but I did take them out before painting.
Especially the bottom. This is what happens when you hurry to set up your room after cleaning the carpet and not making sure the carpet is dry. YUCK!!! Steel wool to the rescue!
Removed the drawers and cut a piece of cardboard to fit the opening and bottom to prevent overspraying the inside.

If you have to ask where to get cardboard that size, you're not shopping Amazon enough.
Fit the bottom with the cardboard.
First, I sprayed with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, then when dry, top coated with Valspar Outdoor Anti-Rust Paint & Primer in a Satin Oceanic color.
Let them dry.
Sprayed the chrome handles with Valspar's Outdoor Anti-Rust Paint & Primer in a gloss Peacock Blue.
I moved the filing cabinets back in - topped it with a section of countertop. You can find these at any store that sells countertops. This piece is 5' wide. I did put felt spacers/sliders on the TOP of the filing cabinets to prevent any scratching from the counter top and on the bottom of the cabinets to prevent scratching the floor.
It's starting to look like a desk!

You can easily drill a hole(s) in the countertop to fish your wires through, if you wish.

All finished! Those cabinets look SO much better now. I think I need a new chair....definitely a new chair cushion!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/pg/JansGardenArt/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1979059779049064

• Amy Cunningham

Hi Jan LOVE THIS What is the height of your file cabinets? I’m planning on doing this but I just need to make sure an office chair will fit underneath the top. Thank you very much
    • LindLMac

Amy I did this, using 2 standard height 2 drawer file cabinets. I have LOTS of room between the tops of my legs and the underside of my desk top!

• Kathleen Hokanson

Love this idea!! I have two pieces of countertop left in my basement & didn't know what to do with them! Think you could use milk crates on either side & have extra storage & use file cabinet off to side?
  • LadyAleta

Love the idea! Do you think a four drawer tall filing cabinet with recessed handles could be cut in half to be used? If so, how would one cut it & make the cut parts not so sharp? I know the cabinet would be short, however if they were put on castors, that would give them height. I'm very short so I don't them a tall clearance under the desk. Thank you for your answer, Everyone. Really would appreciate them. :)

• LadyAleta

Thank you for your answer, Diane. I have an adjustable chair that if it is at regular height, my feet dangle off the floor. lol However, if it is at a height for my feet to be on the floor, then my desk level is bust level. Makes it hard for me either way. Haven't found a desk the right level for me unless it's way too expensive. So, the filing cabinet desk sounds like the right answer for me. Thanks, again! :)

• Peggy Burnette

You did a great job. Thank you for sharing.

• Debra McMenamin

Great idea. Reminds me of when my husband and I first met. He had a file cabinet on each side and had a wide, huge board on top as a desk. I was amazed at how much room was on the “desk “! It served us well for several years!