A big shout out to Pat Ruge at Hometalk who provided me the inspiration to try this project. I followed Pat's steps so I didn't post them here. I purchased the mold, which makes about 10 faces in various sizes and can be reused, at Joann's. I ordered some flat bar magnets for the back of the piece as I plan to make it into a brooch that can be worn on a coat, sweater, dress or handbag. (I once had a part time job at a well known boutique and saw magnets used on some of their brooches).
Time: 1 Hours Cost: $2 Difficulty: Easy
I made my modeling paste with Plaster of Paris, water and some Mod Podge as I didn't have any Elmer's Glue. Pat Ruge has great instructions on how to make the modeling paste under Story with a Magnetic Ending on Hometalk. I didn't get the mixture quite right the first time so the facial features stayed in the mold on some of the faces. 2nd try worked out well and I got a number of faces for future use. I have posted several photos of the same item so you can see how the iridescent pigment changes color depending on the lighting. I used some old eyeshadow I had but don't wear. At age 72 I stick to neutral tones for my eyes.
I took this photo in daylight on a dark background. I have posted several photos of the same item so you can see how the iridescent pigments change color depending on the lighting.
This photo was taken on a white background with flash. For some reason, photos just don't show the iridescence well. It seems to come out too monotone .
To finish off the brooch, I sprayed it generously with clear glossy finish. I may add a couple more light coats for durability after I put on the fabric backing and magnets.
Materials used for this project:
- Gauze surgical bandage (We had it in our medicine cabinet.)
- Mica based eyeshadow in several colors (One of the colors I used looked burgundy when dry and when I dampened my brush and dabbed the color on the peacock blue highlights appeared.)
- Plaster of Paris (I have several containers on hand from actual plaster patching.)