How to Build an Industrial Modern Bench

$100

Let me start off by saying my husband and I have always wanted a larger family. As our family grows, we realize how much dirt and gunk gets tracked in from the outside. Since I don’t foresee the baby stage ending anytime in the next few years, it was time to make a change.

We decided we'd add a bench to our entry to encourage guests to take off their shoes and stop tracking in dirt.
First, you need to prep your wood.

This step really depends on the piece of wood that you bought. Based on the pictures, you can see that the board we got was a rough cut. It took a fair amount of sanding on the edges with 60, 100, 220 grit paper and a little on each face.
Next, it's time to stain your wood. The easiest way to apply the stain is with a cloth. Make sure to wear gloves, dip the cloth in the stain, and apply it to the wood in even strokes going with the grain.

Once you have applied the stain, wait the appropriate amount of time depending on how dark you want the stain to be, and then wipe it down to remove the excess with a clean cloth. The longer you wait, the darker it will be. Repeat on the other edges.
Since you’re doing this on a bench, it’s best to make sure that you seal the wood to make sure that it is waterproof. Make sure to do this before you attach the legs, but wait at least 24 hours after staining before sealing.
Next, paint the u-legs if you wish and attach them to the bottom of the slab with long wood screws.

Add the screws starting with the opposite corners so that the leg doesn’t turn while adding the other screws. I suggest using round head screws so that there isn’t any wiggle room once the leg is attached.
AND you’re done! Flip that bench over, put it in your entry, and accessorize.

I love how it looks in front of our  wood shims wall and is the perfect welcoming piece for our guests!

Want to create a family-friendly modern home on a budget? Grab this free guide right here!

• Wood slab
  • Sandpaper
  • Microfiber cloth

Amanda Garvin