Easy DIY Modern Industrial Platform Storage Bed- Ikea Hack
There's not much that I love more than a good Ikea hack! And do I have one for you!! As I mentioned last week, I had intentionally planned to make a whole new bed for my son's One Room Challenge bedroom update! But as I was researching designs, I noticed that a lot of beds for kids and teenagers included storage drawers. And you know what?? Our current IKEA platform bed already had storage drawers! I decided not to recreate the wheel but rather put some new treads on the tires (lol, you like that analogy?).
Disclaimer: In the name of full transparency, please be aware that this blog post contains affiliate links and any purchases made through such links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost for you). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The number one issue I had with our current platform bed was the natural wood color. Just not my style. I contemplated painting the base but ultimately decided to try to apply a darker stain over top the original color. I have to say, it worked out pretty well!
The bed base was sanded lightly and wiped free from dust. Then Varathane briar smoke stain was applied in two light coats and allowed to dry for several hours. And honestly, that is it! The new stain warmed up the color and made the platform base look more rustic, which fit much better with the rustic industrial vibe that I'm going for.
Next up, drawers. I found a couple of inspiration pictures on Restoration Hardware teen and I really fell in love with this bed that resembled an old trunk. I just love the vintage rugged details!
My overall vision was a bit different than the inspiration above but loosely based on that idea. Using a quarter inch sanded plywood, I ripped it into 2 inch strips using my table saw (have I mentioned lately how much I despise using my table saw??). These strips were then cut to the length of the current drawer fronts. They were attached to the drawer fronts using wood glue and staples because I could not find any nails short enough to fit in my nail gun that wouldn’t go all the way through the drawer front. I used quarters as spacers to make sure I had a nice equal distance between my slats.
Wood filler was applied to the staples and sanded lightly which helped conceal them to a certain extent. You can still see them slightly if you look hard enough. I then used black chalk paint on top and applied two coats of paint. To seal it, I applied a clear wax to the top and then buffed it to a nice satin sheen.
I love the look of a leather drawer pull and started searching for the perfect one for these drawers. I ordered one set from Amazon and unfortunately it just didn’t have the look that I was going for. So I immediately turned to Pinterest (honestly no clue why I didn't just start here!) and found a super easy way to make it myself!
A three-quarter inch strip of leather was ordered from Amazon. The leather was then cut to 6 inches in length and the drawer pull holes were drilled at 4 inches apart. This allows for a little extra material to create the raised part of the handle. The holes were drilled through the leather with just a standard drillbit. The handles were then attached using machine screws, washers, and a nut to screw on from behind
These were so super easy to make and cost me less than $20 for eight drawer pulls! I even have extra leather left over so I could make more!
I love how this platform storage bed IKEA hack turned out! It is the right mix of rustic and industrial and it just feels like a nice cool boys bed. My son loves it! This platform bed paired with the framed upholstered headboard I made last week look amazing together!
- Wood lattice strips (Home Depot)
- Leather strips (Amazon)