Emily
Emily
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Plain Wall to Tiled Backsplash

$160

As I've been browsing the internet, looking for inexpensive ways to get a nice backsplash, I came across Smart Tiles. They give the look of tiles at a much lower price and a lot less labor. There's still some labor and you definitely need to pay attention to your measurements, but it's easy once you get on a roll!

plain wall to tiled backsplash

The first step is to thoroughly clean the walls and remove all of the outlet covers.

plain wall to tiled backsplash

You need to measure the walls and determine how many tiles you'll need. You also have to measure where the outlets are and cut that space out of each tile.

plain wall to tiled backsplash

It's fairly simple once you get down a pattern of placing and measuring. Remove the backing and stick onto the wall. I recommend pressing the tiles into place with pressure and rubbing the tiles to make sure the adhesive really sticks to the wall.

plain wall to tiled backsplash
plain wall to tiled backsplash

I'm truly satisfied with the end result. It's a nice, simple addition to a fairly plain kitchen wall.

* We did have a few tiles start to pull away from the wall after a couple months, but we used a spray adhesive and pressed it back into place and we haven't had any problems since then.

plain wall to tiled backsplash

• Cha13276118

I need something to go behind my stove--would these work for that or would they melt from the heat? Your kitchen looks great--you did a really nice job!

• Dpe2099916

I had them behind my stove and they all peeled away. I recommend using spray adhesive first.

• Jill Smith-Buckland

I'm a renter in a mobile home. Does anyone know if this will stick to the walls?

• Pat Pettway

how did you finish off the top of the tiles where there are no cabinets?

• Emily

The smart tiles website also sells trim. It sticks to the wall the same way that the tiles do. We used it on the sides of the tiles; it looks pretty good.