How to Make a Hanging Succulent Garden

$20

So who’s ready for to get some dirt under their nails? In this article I’ll be blending my love for succulents with a fun gardening teqhniqe called Kokedama. Follow along and I’ll show you How to Make a Hanging Succulent Garden.
My Simple Hanging Succulent Garden
Hanging succulent gardens are great for small space gardeners. They are cheap and easy to make, they only take a couple cups of soil each, perlite, some string, some moss and your favorite succulent plants.
This projects only needs a few ingredients.
Add the potting soil and perlite to the mixing bowl mix together and water slightly.

Form a test ball with your hands. Soil should hold together but remain light and airy. The balls should hold together on their own but yield to pressure and crumble when squeezed.
Form a ball around the plant roots
Take your succulent plant and start forming a ball of soil mixture around the roots. Ensuring all the roots are covered and the soil is not overly compacted.

Now, lay out an even sheet of moss, large enough to cover the balls.  Place the ball in the centre of the moss with the plant facing up, bring the moss up and wrap it around the plant, leaving the top of the plant uncoverd.
Wrap the string around the ball.
Securing one end of the string with your thumb, begin wrapping the string around the ball. If you like a tidy ball, work your way around the ball slowly. If you’re a knitter like me, think of winding a centre pull ball of yarn.
Hang in a sunny window
Once the moss is secured and you’re happy with the look of the ball, tuck the string in and secure it with a knot.  Now, measure a long string and tie it to the back if the succulent moss ball for hanging.  Hang your indoor succulent garden in a sunny window, outside on a patio or from a tree branch in the garden.

To Water:  I take the whole thing down and set it in the sink with a few inches of water and let them sit overnight. The moss balls are soft, so I give them a little squeeze to get any excess water out, then I hang the whole thing back up. The benefit of succulents is that they only need to be watered once or twice a month.

Jana The Hip Homestead

• Karla Tajima

I make jewelry and have spools different gauge colored wires. Could copper wire be used without hurting the moss and plant?. It would be a nice contrast in color.

• Necee Marie

Great idea Karla! I think the copper would embellish each plant and make them really stand out.

• Sheryl Gilliland

How do you keep them small, do you have to cut the root or just the new growth/
  • Suzzann

How do you water them?

• Cindy

Or you could use ice cubes which would melt slowly