10 Non-Toxic Dust Mite Remedies for the Home

As a lifelong dust mite allergy sufferer, I’ve spent more than my share of times being congested and even suffered asthma attacks from a robust dust mite population. Over the years I’ve learned several non-toxic ways to remedy a burgeoning dust mite population.
Controlling dust might seem like the obvious solution to dust mites, but actually there are several specific things you need to do to control the actual mites.
You can never completely eliminate a dust mite population, but you can reduce the population to ease the suffering of those that are allergic to dust mites. You also don’t need to resort to chemicals or drastic measures. You can actually wage war against dust mites with some very simple tricks and tools.
10 non toxic dust mite remedies for the home, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to
Ten Non-Toxic Dust Mite Remedies
1. Cover your bed and pillows with dust mite protective covers.
2. Wash sheets in hot water once a week.
3. Throw your pillows in the freezer for a few hours once a month.
4. Be lazy! Don’t make your bed. Believe it or not, pulling the covers back and airing out your mattress after a good night’s slumber actually helps the humidity evaporate from your bed. Remember how much those dust mites love humidity?!
5. Make your own dust mite repellent to spray on your bed. Dust mites are repulsed by the smell of Clove, Eucalyptus, Lavendar, Peppermint, and Rosemary. Make your own aromatic spray by adding a few drops of one (or more) of those essential oils in a water-filled spray bottle. Lightly mist your bed and allow it to air dry.
(New scents to try: I also just read that a mixture of Basil and Lemongrass will not only repel dust mites, but also fleas and lice!)
6. Use a HEPA vacuum cleaner. A HEPA vacuum has a filter that traps any dust that doesn’t go in the bag instead of spewing it back into the air.
7. Vacuum rugs and other “soft” items in your home on a regular basis.
8. Vacuum your mattress. This sounds funny, but once a month remove your sheets and vacuum your mattress using the upholstery attachment on your vacuum. There’s also a recipe for making a dust mite killing solution using baking soda, and 10 drops of one (or a combination of) those essential oils that repulse dust mites.
9. Clean your air intake vents. Vacuum the fins and around the air intake. Wipe the dust accumulation around the perimeter with a damp rag (dry rags will only spread the mites.)
10. Use 1900 High Performance Maximum Allergen filters by Filtrete to trap allergens and dust.

Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

• Devi

Number 4. Do you mean that we should make up the bed or we shouldnt? Please answer. Thank you in advance

• Damockstadad

Are you installing the filter in the cold air return going back to the furnace? If so, is there a concern with slowing the air movement?

• Debbe

We use Filtrete 2400 because we have a dog and 4 parrots and we change it every month ! Cuts the dust down a lot because before we used this filters our home had dust floating in the air and we don't have that anymore.
  • Chris Ann Hanousek

Fantastic post! Thank you. Ques:

1. I have perforated latex pillows. Read latex most dust mite proof pillow. I still have dust mite proof pillow protectors inside of the actual pillow cases. How often should I wash the pillow protectors?

2. I purchased a bed that doesn't use a box spring. I figured one less place for mites to reproduce. I have a foam mattress advertised to be dust mite resistant, with mattress protector. I could not find a dust proof cover for my long twin mattress). How often should I wash the mattress protector?

Thank you.

• Denise

I use a vacuum that is has a filter for fleas and dust mites and I have been using it on the mattress in the bedrooms, you never know if it works 100% be I feel like the house seems a look cleaner

• Lena

Yes! Bless you.