How to Make a Paint Brush Wreath

48K Views
Sometimes it just happens, despite my best intentions, a paint brush dries to a crisp. There are ways to clean a brush, and some tricks to get out dried paint - but there are times it's just no use. If you paint a lot you may have a whole collection of these brushes (is it just me??!). So one day I decided to make something with these brushes - why not turn them into something beautiful.
That's how the paint brush wreath was born.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • how to make a paint brush wreath
This would be a cute wreath or wall art for a store or workshop... So I hope you never look at a crusty old paint brush the same again - re-imagine it into a beautiful up-cycled paint brush wreath!
  • how to make a paint brush wreath
First things first, paint your round piece of wood in a dark color.  This will show through a bit, so just paint it to hide it.

While the paint is drying, use a small drill bit and drill to drill through the end of each paint brush handle making a small pilot hole.  This will prevent the handle from cracking when you screw it to the piece of wood. 
  • how to make a paint brush wreath
Lay out your brushes on the circle of wood - adjust until you like the layout. I try to make the brushes across from each other nice and straight.  
  • how to make a paint brush wreath
Once you are happy with how it looks, screw the brushes to the round board with dry wall screws.  

My blog post has a video of this process - just click on the link at the end of this project post. Plus you'll see the paint color I used and you'll also learn what hardware I used on the back to hang it!
  • how to make a paint brush wreath
A friend was selling some pieces of slate, so I cut one in a circle with my jigsaw and had a local print shop print a Bible verse on the slate.  If you don't have access to such things you could add a small chalk board, or another piece of wood to the top of the brushes.  

• how to make a paint brush wreath
I love what a good reminder this verse is, "Aspire to live quietly... and work with your hands" 1 Thes 4:11. This is such a good reminder to use our creativity for good - to inspire and encourage others.  All while using our bodies to work as hard as we can.  

Please find me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture to see more of my diy projects Plus I regularly share design inspiration, furniture makeovers, and painting tips .... and film Facebook Lives!

You should also subscribe to my blog and get DIY projects sent directly to your email so you don't miss out!

Thanks for stopping by!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 7, 2018 10:23 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Jenni Ingram