Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

DIY UNFINISHED NATURAL WOOD DRESSER

$25

Before you pass on an ugly piece, read this - you just may change your mind!

I took this ugly, disgusting dresser and transformed it into a beautiful DIY unfinished natural wood dresser.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

Would you pass on this ugly dresser? There was a local junk shop that was closing it’s doors and it was a sad, sorry place. Windows busted out, random bowls of cat food laying around, and forgotten items that not many people would want.

That’s when I saw this dresser. And I saw the groups of people turning their nose up at this disgusting piece.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

Covered in stains, it had a unique smell, was missing a drawer and the remaining drawers had a mysterious fuzz growing inside of them.

For just a few bucks and some elbow grease - I turned this forgotten chest into something beautiful.

I did not take pictures because of the dangerous state of this piece. Donning a hazmat suit, I tackled that piece with much caution. Chiefly concerned for my safety, I was worried that I’d carry any cooties from this piece to my phone or camera. That wasn’t about to happen, so no pics of the stripping process.

The mystery fuzz really bothered me, so we removed all the bottoms from each drawer and took them to the dump.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

Stripping furniture can get really messy, so prepare a container to place the gunk in. An old cardboard box worked perfectly for this. Just apply the stripper, let it sit a bit, and scrape it off.

After you strip the piece, wipe it down afterward. I used soapy water because I knew it would be sanded, but you can use vinegar as well.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

Using a sanding block, I started sanding the chest. Since this was in such poor shape, I also sanded the interior to make sure I removed any remaining yuck that was there before.

Similarly, I sanded the interior and exterior of all the drawers, just to be safe and to ensure that all gunk had disappeared.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

I’m so pleased with how my DIY unfinished natural wood dresser turn out! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

Let me know if this inspires you to hunt down a piece to love back to life.

For more details on this furniture flip, check out the original blog post.

diy unfinished natural wood dresser

DIY UNFINISHED NATURAL WOOD DRESSER SUPPLIES

• Old Dresser
  • Citristrip Stripping Gel
  • Scraping Tool
  • Sandpaper and  Sanding Block
  • Plywood 4 X 8 – 1/4 inch smooth for drawer inserts
  • circular saw
  • wood glue
  • rubber gloves, mask and goggles
  • Glass drawer knobs and pulls from Hobby Lobby

Noting Grace

• Jamie

In your list of materials you used. It says circular saw, what did you use it for?

• Tara

She used the circular saw to cut down the 4x8 sheet of ply wood, for the bottom of the drawers, she had to remove and take to the dump as she didn’t know what the fuzzy stuff was.

• Shelby

Kitchen cabinets makeover white wash

• Cathy

You did an amazing job turned out truly beautiful!!!!!