Living room decoration

+13
Hi.
1. Like to replace our coffee table as l feel it is too big even though l like it.
Suggestion please?
2. We have 4 brown panels curtains which just frames our windows. We do not close them as we face a forest in our back yard. I would like to change the colour to match our sofa and area rug. I was thinking of off white? Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated. We do not get alot of sunlight and want to brighten up our living room. Brown curtain panels were here when we bought our townhouse.
Attached photos.
Thank you and look forward to your suggestions.
Elaine

q living room decoration
Sofa and area carpet
q living room decoration
Replace the coffee table with something smaller.
q living room decoration
Brown curtain pannel.
q living room decoration
q living room decoration
q living room decoration
q living room decoration
q living room decoration
These are our 2 occasional chairs opposite the sofa. They are a pattern with light grey, black and off white.
  • Emmen Emmen on Apr 06, 2018
    Why not go to a glass shop and see if they can trim the glass down for it. The it reduces the size but you still get to keep the piece you like and you can go more rounded or oval like it is.
  • Amanda Amanda on Apr 06, 2018
    Hello. I think the coffee table is a gorgeous piece. I would consider removing the 2 end tables and keep the coffee table. I would also move the TV to a full wall away from the window, maybe swap the couch and TV out. It is a open concept? Maybe you could put the couch at the entry of the room. Off white, light grey or a pale yellow sheer curtain would be very nice, and help open the room up. I hope you get good ideas.
  • Mogie Mogie on Apr 06, 2018
    I like the coffee table as well. Get rid of the end tables flanking the sofa. You might try a throw rug in front of the sofa that has some punches of color in it and throw pillows on the sofa to match the throw rug. Sometime less is more.
  • Ro Ro on Apr 06, 2018
    paint the base as you suggested and replace the top to something that is the proper size for the room
  • Emily Emily on Apr 06, 2018
    The coffee table design goes with the swirlyness of the rug. I like the way they look together. Yes, replace the brown curtains with white or off white curtains and remember curtains should be able to be closed whether you do so or not. I think with the two comfy chairs by the fireplace there needs to be another small table, so each chair has its own table, plus I would put them on the other sides of the chairs away from the fireplace, that is if you have room. You have nice things and a nice space, just the new curtains will really improve the room.
  • Sharon Sharon on Apr 06, 2018
    Since you have privacy, I would just remove the drapes.... the woodwork is nice.
    Then to brighten up the space, I would do an accent wall behind the loveseat..... how about pale yellow to match your accent pillows or since you have gold accents, you could do a soft golden metallic wall..... this would reflect the light from the windows to brighten it up. I don't see your ceiling in the pics, but same thing..... if you do a bright arctic white in a satin finish you will get more light reflected in the room.
    Add a couple pale yellow velvet lumbar pillows to the club chairs.
    I do like your coffee table... but if it doesn't work for you get a set of those 3 nesting tables or a long low table.... https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70239710/
  • Geew Geew on Apr 06, 2018
    The neutral off white color on the coffee table would be a great match to the rest of the room.
    Because the table has a glass top, it doesn't visually produce it as being too big. If you go with a smaller table, in my opinion would be be too small.
    Try the color change 1st, and move the table closer to the couch, I think you will find it an easy fix.
    To be honest, I think the elephant in the room is the tv table and location, I think that might be why you are seeing an issue.
    Good luck and let us know what resolution you come up with!
  • Amy Ogden-Paparone Amy Ogden-Paparone on Apr 06, 2018
    Hi etgrandma!
    I think everything in your room is beautiful, but I think if you have the room to just rearrange the furniture, hand your beautiful cream colored sheers you'd find it looks gorgeous! Is there anyway you can move the couch right across from the TV? Maybe remove one end table? I can't get a good enough feel with the pictures you posted but I'm feeling just a little rearranging just might make a world of difference and you'd get to keep everything you have!
  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Apr 06, 2018
    You need a much larger area rug, in any other colors besides brown and beige. The rug must be large enough that at least the front legs of all the furniture can sit on it. The room will look larger as it will look connected. The table could be a statement piece if you paint the base, a color that says wow! Turquoise? Royal blue. Emerald green? Your new rug will decide your accent color but remember, t doesn't have to match, just 'go'. Remove one end table and add a floor lamp in its place. Consider mounting the tv and clear that floor area. Replace the brown drapes with something with pattern and hung just under the ceiling. Get different art work, something with some color, something you love. Have fun!
  • Feen Feen on Apr 11, 2018
    It’s an illusion which can be resolved with a few principles and elements of design. The coffee table is the right size. And it’s gorgeous! It appears more “weighted“ because; A) its anchored on the darkest part of your carpet and B) because your room layout needs slightly taller lamps flanked on each side of the light toned but weightier appearing couch to C) balance and frame the whole composition with your backdrop being darker walls. Kudos!

• Janet Janet on Apr 11, 2018
    I would look for a modern glass coffee table to work with your sofa
  • Charlee Hunter Charlee Hunter on Apr 11, 2018
    I love your table , it's gorgeous and unusual. I don't think it looks too big, for me the item out of place and 'not fitting in' is the tv table.. as for the curtains, I would definitely opt for either white or light grey sheers.
  • Happy Days Hometalker Happy Days Hometalker on Apr 15, 2018
    I would bring in orange or red colors in your accessories , light grey curtains to pull the room together, your forest view sounds wonderful.
  • Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Apr 15, 2018
    It's a lovely room. I think the positioning of the TV is in the wrong place and causes dissonance. I love the coffee table, please do not get rid of it. As far as the window treatment, I would definitely go with some kind of textured see-through panels in an offwhite. I think they should cover the pieces of wall on either side of the door or windows.
  • Janice Janice on Apr 12, 2021

Since you love the coffee table (as do I), keep it. Changing the brown curtains to a light color will make a huge difference. The TV seems to be part of the issue, so if it could be placed in a different area that would be great. I also love your rug. Work with the items you love and consider changing out everything else! You are on the right track by changing the window coverings first.

• Dee Dee on Apr 12, 2021

I love the wood work in that room. I would remover the drapes all together. But if that is not an option I would change out to Light gray or white. Ikea has some nice lightweight drapes reasonable.

I love your coffee table. I would move the tv to another area and center the coffee table. Can you move the sofa to another side and put the tv on that wall? Love your area rug.