Turbulence - Unicorn Spit Coffee Table

$70

I found a coffee table in need of a make over online. It didn't turn out how I had envisioned, however that is the joy of working with such a versatile product as Unicorn Spit.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I gave the table a wipe down, and went to work.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I sanded the top with a palm sander, initially using 80 grit sand paper, followed by 240 grit for a smooth surface.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I sealed the edges of the coffee table with painters tape and painted the top with with two coats of Annie Sloan Henrietta Chalk Paint. I found the first coat didn't cover the timber adequately. I waited for the first coat to dry before painting a second. Once dry, I sanded the chalk paint with 400 grit sand paper to ensure the surface was smooth and ready for Unicorn Spit.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I lightly sprayed the surface with water from a water bottle. I used Unicorn Spits Purple Hill Majesty, Pixie Punk Pink and White Ning and squeezed them randomly over the top of the table.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
Using my hands, I blended the Spit from left to right. Whilst it looked nice, I decided to use a different technique.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I gave the table a wipe down and spray with water before adding more Purple Hill Majesty, Pixie Punk Pink and White Ning. I gave the top another spray of water.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I covered the table with a plastic sheet and used my hands to remove air bubbles and blend the Spit indiscriminately,
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I removed the plastic sheet to reveal the pattern underneath.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
This is what the table top looked like dry. I removed the painters tape and painted the border with Unicorn Spit Purple Hill Majesty.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I cleaned the base and sprayed it with a coat of Rust - oleum 2 X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer Gloss Black.
turbulence unicorn spit coffee table
I applied 2 coats of Feast and Watson Glass finish to seal the top, lightly sanding between coats. The second coat of glass finish cost me $60. I was happy to pay that. I had the product for the first coat at home.

After the first coat I waited 3 days to let it cure before doing a second coat. I put the table back together. Project complete

• Mm215763110

How did you attach the top to the legs ?

• Ave19261545

Hi Mm,

From below , most likely with the same screw that attached it to the legs originally....

• Mm215763110

How did you attach the top ?

• Sally

Hi Mm, when I bought the table, the base was secured to the top with 4 screws. I turned the table upside down and unscrewed those screws. I kept the screws and went to work on the base and top. Once complete, I used the same screws to re-attach the base with the top. Hope this helps.

• Lana

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is Unicorn Spit & what is it designed to do?? I've heard of it, but that's all...

Thanks!

• Suzanne

I thank you Lana for asking... I never heard of it but I will check it out... love the table

• Laura

Looks really neat!

• Lisa Miller

Love the technology, however I am going to use more neutral colors. Thank you.