HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHALK PAINT and How to Finish Your Project!

I love to paint furniture with Chalk Paint, I love the coverage, consistency, finish and distressing properties of Chalk Paint. So I decided to go ahead and try out a recipe to make my own and try out my own colors. In my post on my blog I share STEP by STEP details and photos of How I made the paint, How to Paint with Chalk Paint, and the Distressing process as well as waxing process. I will have to say making your own paint is very cost effective, but do I like the results as much????
These are the simple ingredients needed… There are many recipes out there, but this particular one only cost me $4.00. If you have paint around the house you would like to use it would cost only a few cents!
So, here I used a sample size paint in the color I wanted (this was about 1 cup worth) only cost $3.00.
STEPS:
Pour pain into mixing container
Add 3 heaping Tablespoons of Plaster of Paris into another mixing vessel
Add 1-2 Tablespoons of WARM water into Plaster of Paris and mix until smooth
Now stir mixture into your paint, be sure there are no lumps, and you have a smooth consistency.
CONGRATULATIONS, you just made Chalk Paint!!
THE BEFORE CHAIR
PAINTING IS EASY!! Just be sure to prep beforehand, I usually sand a piece of furniture and wipe clean with a cloth before I paint, but for this project, I did not, because I wanted to test the coverage of this homemade recipe!
RESULTS: Great coverage!!
THE AFTER CHAIR
This is a just a shot of the painting process. I always used a Natural Bristle brush when painting for best results, and I used 2 coats of paint on this chair.
I show how I distress my chalk painted pieces. Here I used a palm sander and realized that the homemade chalk paint, distressed a bit more than the store bought paint. So I switched to a fine grit sanding pad to finish sanding for a smooth surface and for the just right amount of distressing.
This is the finishing stage… Applying soft wax. I just use a soft cloth and dab little bits at a time on the rag and apply in a buffing manner all over the chair. I usually really focus on the distressed areas first to bring out the wood tones. Be sure to use only a little and buff with a clean cloth when you are finished. This creates a seal and hard coat over your paint, as well as a smooth as butter finish.
Here I used Minwax, I was out of Annie Sloan Soft wax(which is softer), but does the same thing for less cost!
Thank you so much for reading! If you have tried homemade recipes for Chalk Paint, please share your results with me! I would love to hear about your experience! Please stay tuned. I plan on trying a new recipe next week!!!

Jeanne

• Annie Doherty

Apologies for the spelling errors, I have a tablet with a mind off its own! I would love the recipe for baking soda paint, I would love to try this thanks in advance.

• Sharonlw

what is the difference in chalk paint? is it very different than just paint? is it just like whitewash or will it cover any color like plain paint?