Custom Bathroom Nook With Unicorn Spit, and My Grandma's Crystal Knob

$5

When we gutted our bathroom for a remodel I wanted a little cubby nook space to hide hair styling products etc. Our contractor built it out for me and I created a door with unicorn spit and a crystal knob from my grandma's house. The knob is priceless to me as a memory of my grandma and the house that we spent so much time at growing up. Grandma passed away in 2000 and I miss her every day.
Here is the framed in nook our contractor did for me. I had given him the dimensions of the little door piece I wanted to use so he scaled the opening to that.
These are the unicorn spit colors I used - the same ones I used on the bathroom vanity - Zia Teal, Navajo Jewel and Grace C Hummingbird sparkling spit.
Taking my board (a piece of scrap wood I picked up at a garage sale and sanded to bare wood - sorry I didn't think to take a picture of it bare)
and using chip brushes I dry brushed the various unicorn spit colors onto the board - trying to follow the grain. Unicorn spit dries chalky looking but never fear - sealing will bring back the beautiful rich color.
Using a cheap chip brush I put on 3 coats of Spar Urethane - allowing to dry between each coat. This was going in our bathroom so I knew it needed a rain/moisture type sealer.
Here is the beautiful knob my mom had from my grandma and grandpa's house. All of their door knobs and kitchen knobs were these beautiful crystal look. I used to think they had diamond door knobs as a child. Loved their house and all the time I was able to spend there and I miss them both so much.
Our contractor installed the door for me and it was a perfect match to the vanity I spit and the medicine cabinet I spit. He framed it out beautifully and I painted the trim and inside in the same color as the walls.
Here it is farther out for comparison - isn't it fun how it all ties together? I love my beachy bathroom!

• Scrap wood  (Garage sale)
  • Unicorn spit  (on line vendor)
  • Chip brushes  (Menards)

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

• Wendy
    Wendy

It is looking so amazing! I love that color!

• Jenny
    Jenny

On lovely. Now I've got an old dining table.........!!