Earth Day Inspired Mini Crate Garden Planters

$10

Hi there, Hometalk Friends! We have been having gorgeous spring weather here in Texas. Believe me, spring doesn't usually last long here before our early summer temperatures arrive. I'm savoring every minute and also sending warm thoughts to those of you who spring has yet to visit. Earth Day is coming up, so if you're itching to get outside and plant or start some plants indoors until your weather cooperates, today's 15 minute fix is the perfect repurposed project...
When I look out my backdoor, there is a section of fence visible that I like to decorate and change up for the seasons. I scored these mini crates at a local thrift store recently and plan to use them for several upcoming projects. I made three planters and purposely kept the wood natural rather than painting them. Need crates? Buy 3 here! OR Get 6 here!
Before planting your crate(s), decide where you want to hang them. I decided to stagger mine, but they could also be hung to create a vertical planter. I used wood screws to hang mine, but they are a little smaller than 5" x 7" and are pretty lightweight. If you use larger crates, you'll probably need a hanger that holds more weight.
I originally planned to use coco liner  to hold the soil in the crates, which I usually buy at Dollar Tree. They didn't have any when I went, but I did find some weed barrier landscape paper that makes a good liner. I actually found the marigolds on clearance at Walmart--love me some clearance flowers!
To plant your crate, arrange the liner so that it lays higher than the space between the wood pieces. I layered two pieces of lining, one lengthwise and one across the width. Add your flowers and enough potting soil to cover the roots, but not higher than the liner. The weight of the soil and plants holds the liner in place.

Happy almost Earth Day and happy planting, too!
Continue to my blog to see how I displayed all 3 on my fence:

Cecilia MyThriftStoreAddiction

• Angi

Build a portable fence wall, even could use a trellis, and make the frame kind of like the old portable chalkboards schools had in the science classes, with feet long enough to support the height. This way it's not a permanent structure, keeping you from issues with the park. Good luck!