Michelle
Michelle
  • Houston, TX

How to Season A Brand New Cast Iron Pan

The purpose of seasoning the pan is to create a non-stick surface. But without all the nasty chemicals that transfer into the food from other "non-stick" pans. And a bit of iron will seep into your cooked food through the cast iron skillet - which apparently is a really good thing!
how to season a brand new cast iron pan, cleaning tips
A cast iron pan is a must! If you don't have one...get one!
Use any oil of your choosing and spread a thin layer on the pan. Flaxseed oil is said to be the best oil to season a pan with.
Bake upside down in a cool oven on 350 degrees for at least an hour.
Michelle

• Karen Mueller

You can use water to clean the pan but no soap. After I wash it, I put it on the burner until the pan gets hot enough to burn off the water to prevent rust from forming. Let it cool down before storing.

• Deborah Durham

The main idea should be NEVER to use soap on any frying pan. It makes a thin film that causes food to stick. I note the way Chinese food people clean a pan they put water in the pan and let it boil while scrubbing away the food etc.