Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Anthropology Inspired Lampshade

$15
1 Day

I’ve been drooling over this lampshade but even on sale, it’s way out of my price range. What’s a girl to do? Well, if she’s a true DIYer, she’ll make her own!
anthropology inspired lampshade
This lampshade is embroidered, which I know how to do but the lampshade that I wanted to use really thick and pushing the needle through was very difficult.
anthropology inspired lampshade
Here is my lampshade which I picked up at a thrift store for $2.00.
anthropology inspired lampshade
My lampshade has a heavy cover and is lined so to make my colorful lampshade:
A-I took plain white paper and creased it on the ribs of the lamp
B-and cut the shape with scissors
C-I made four of these shapes
anthropology inspired lampshade
I tore a few pictures out of a coloring book with flowers that I liked.
A-Because my lampshade is thick, I held the coloring book page up to a window and placed the white paper on top.
B-and traced the flowers onto the white paper.

If the lampshade that you are working with is thin, you could trace your pictures directly onto the lampshade. Place the picture on the inside of the lampshade, turn on the light and trace.
anthropology inspired lampshade
A-After I traced my entire pattern onto the white paper
B-I used painter’s tape and taped the pattern onto the lampshade
anthropology inspired lampshade
To transfer the pattern onto the lampshade, I used a pencil and punched holes through the paper.
anthropology inspired lampshade
A-You can see the dots that were made when punching through the paper
B-I then connected the dots with the same pencil.
anthropology inspired lampshade
This is the lampshade after the pattern was transferred and the dots were connected.
anthropology inspired lampshade
I wanted to embroider using paint so I bought fabric paint in tubes with a thin tip.
anthropology inspired lampshade
A-I began by outlining each design in the appropriate color.
B-For the center of a blackeyed Susan, I filled it in with dots of black paint and then added brown dots for a layer of color.
anthropology inspired lampshade
I continued to add lines of paint, as if I was embroidering; however, that didn’t work. The paint was too thick and it looked really messy.
Plan B:
I outlined each design using the tube of paint, then while the paint was still wet, I used the tip of a small paint brush to drag paint into the design and fill each pedal for flowers. I continued to fill the design until it was complete.
Once the paint was dry, I went over the each flower, adding details and more color.
anthropology inspired lampshade
I allowed the shade to dry and couldn’t wait to see it “lit up” which is the top picture. The bottom picture was taken during the day.

anthropology inspired lampshade
It does have raised color due to the lines of the fabric paint so even though it’s not embroidered, it’s beautiful and one of a kind.

• Catherine Martin

Could a beginner embroiderer do this?Could you use a embroidery paper for the picture and somehow adhere it to the pape? I love this,

• Donna

You could purchase a lampshade at a craft store and use the removable cover as a pattern for lightweight fabric. Embroider on that and stick it back on the lampshade. The paper surrounding the shade covers the stickiness, glue, on the shade.

• Pinkystarfish

I wonder if you could tape your pattern to the inside of the shade and then turn on the light to trace the pattern instead of punching holes? Just a thought but love your idea!

• Janice

Pinkystarfish, your idea is great. I've even printed sayings out on my printer and then taped them to the backside of my lampshade just for fun. When the lamp is used you can see what's be printed. I've done ZZZZZZZ with the Z diminishing in size. Also "Sleep Tight" , etc. for a lamp in my guest room.

Get many compliments on the originality. Just a nice surprise.

• Harriette N

You are extremely smart and creative! Do you have any other craft projects that you can share?

• Syl

I love this! And, if a "cool" light bulb is used instead of a "warm" bulb, the lamp would appear much lighter & brighter at night. Especially if you wish to decorate with silver, reflecting glass, crystal, etc. I prefer silver tones rather than the "yellow glow". However, if one's preference is gold, the yellow tone lighting is the way to go.

• Sue c.
    30 minutes ago

I love your result, Alicia, both day and night.