Cleaning Yellowing Pillows (and More)

$2

I have cleaned my pillows in the past but my latest challenge was to not only clean them but also whiten them. Our pillows, pillow covers, and mattress pads turn yellow over time due to our body oils, sweat, etc. I tried a few different techniques and wanted to share my results.

So let's start with the disclaimer... I have washed and dried my pillows - and we all know drying sets stains in. So I knew going into this that I would have some challenges... These are our pillows and mine is a slightly off white to begin with. It's hard to see the yellowing stains here but I promise they are there and you'll see them more in the next few photos... In addition to this I also washed my pillow case covers to run the test as to how this would work with those and potentially with mattress pads.

First whenever you wash your pillows, it's best to do 2 at a time to create balance in your washing machine. (See how yellow they are - gross)

Settings - to get rid of stains like these you need to set your temperature to the hottest setting you have, fullest load, and then if you have a soak setting select that. If you don't have a soak, you'll need to fill up you washing machine with water and then stop it so that it can soak.

For my first run through I added 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide - this is a bleach alternative.

1/2 cup of vinegar - this is a natural cleaner, breaks down stains, and fabric softener.

And 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Lemon juice is also acidic so same qualities as vinegar, & added a nice lemon smell.

Let soak for 30 minutes, then flip the pillows to make sure you get both sides and soaked for 30 more minutes.

I realized that my washing machine is a fairly large one and I was not satisfied after the 30 minutes how things were going so I added another cup of hydrogen peroxide. Everyone's laundry tubs are a different size so take that into consideration. (So in the end I used 2 cups hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice.)

Add your laundry detergent of your choice and run your normal wash cycle.

Pull your pillows out and inspect them. If they are clean enough which mine were - put them in the dryer. If not you may need to start over and soak again or try an alternative method below.

I set my dryer to low, and it took about 30 minutes to dry my pillows.

Here is how they came out - and I was extremely pleased with the results.

What else did I try? (and why - this one is color safe)

Here is the next set of pillows and again they had been washed and dried before. I placed the pillows in the wash and added a mixture of 1 cup laundry detergent, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax, and 1 cup Castile soap. Soaked 30 minutes, flipped the pillows and soaked another 30 minutes, ran the wash cycle and here is how they came out...

Definitely made a difference but one pillow was still more yellow than I liked.

In the end these are great alternatives to bleach if you want to stay away from chemicals. It works on pillows, pillow covers, and mattress pads.

I would love to have you stop by my blog      for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Chanda Russell

I have a front loading washing my machine that does not fill up with water. It only has water in the bottom so how do you soak things if they’re not fully submerged?

• Deborah Dennis

Maybe you could use the bathtub to soak? And then transfer to the washing machine? Depending on what you are trying to whiten...

• Mohsin Zainee

One can soak such stuff in big pail or round plastic tub and thereafter transfer to front loading washing machine.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I can see how that would be tricky, so you could soak them in an outside source as suggested by the others. You could also give it a try and see how clean they come and you might need to either do one pillow at a time, or wash/soak them more than once.

• Paula

What did you do about the lumps?

• Cin27718978

Paula, you can put tennis shoes in the drier. This is very loud but effective. Also works great with anything with down in it.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I just gave the pillows a few good shakes they came out and they formed back into place. My husband said his was "fluffier" than usual the first night but then said after one night sleep it was great again.

• Shawn Goldstein

i wonder if this would work on White Baseball Uniforms?

• Mytruck77

When my sons played baseball and had white pants with their uniforms; I used one cup of dishwasher powder--"Cascade" and soaked them. Got rid of red dirt and green grass stains!

• Chas' Crazy Creations

That is a really good suggestion - I will have to give that a try. My only concern is that the peroxide will "bleach" out color so if there is any color on them you would want to avoid the peroxide. For my son's baseball uniforms I have soaked them in "Biz" which you can find at places like Walmart and that worked fantastic.

• Jan

Hi, You say to use the hottest water possible. WHY? I've always heard & believed that hot water sets stains. Thank You!

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Jan, I totally understand as that is what I thought too. I read my pillows and they said wash in hot, and then I did some research and found sites that said what stains to wash in hot and what stains to wash in cold. Oil, Grease, and such was on the hot list.

• Anne Rightler

Do you think the peroxide/vinegar/lemon juice would work on dingy white towels?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Anne, I do think that it would work for your towels. I haven't added the peroxide to mine yet, but I did wash them in vinegar and it did soften them right up too.

• Ann

What is the filling in the pillows that takes all this without lumping? My pillows are filled with Sabakowa husks. I’d like to wash them, but don’t kiw how. BTW, I always use 2 pillowcases on each pillow so only the top one needs to get washed more often and it saves the pillow.

• Carole Graham

Your pillow should have a tag attached with cleaning instructions on it. I would be hesitant to throw it in my washer without having read that.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I agree, you could read your labels and then do some quick online research. I know there are ways to clean pillows that cannot go into the wash. I also use a pillow case cover and a pillow case on mine as well. That will help, but unless they are waterproof, sweat, body oil, and drool will make it through all of those.

• Grace

I have a front load washer, how to do this with my washer?

• Melanie

You can add the vinegar and lemon juice to the bleach dispenser. Just make sure that you add plain water on the next cycle because vinegar and bleach do not mix.

• Terri

I think I will try this and just soak them in a tub and then put them in my front loader. I dont think you can soak in one of them! It will be a lot more work but I hate that yellow too!

• Tammey MillerEisemann

I have a pre wash which goes about 5 minutes on mine. Will try with whites 1st. Live in red clay SC

• Gra33148328

We're the pillows down or polyester ? Would thickness make a difference in you washing machine . But what a great idea. Thanks

• Chas' Crazy Creations

One of my pillows were thicker than the other but you just want a pretty close balance so that your washer doesn't start rocking. My pillows had poly on the inside and the outside was cotton.

• DORA BARNES

Wwhat'z the Blue liquid 4 u poured into washer?

• Marianne Odell

This is more of an observation than a question...the pillows look pretty lumpy after washing/drying. Would using tennis balls alleviate that? I don’t wash my pillows-I use waterproof zipped pillow covers that protect my pillows. They’re a lot easier to clean than pillows!

• Debra Joseph

I have to agree, I also use waterproof, zippered pillow covers . They are very inexpensive at say Walmart, etc. and work well to protect the pillows. But that's not to say I don't appreciate the chemical free cleaning solutions and will definitely try on my sheets, etc.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Yes you can use tennis balls and that might help. Once I got the pillows back in the pillow case cover and pillow case I gave them a good shake and mine formed right back into place. My husband said his was fluffier the first night but then was fine after that.

• Paula

How would you whiten yellowed T-shirts?

• Denise Karpavich

How do you get rain stains out of cotton .

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I am sorry, I don't know for sure with regards to the specific rain stains. Maybe try the Hometalk discussions form (ask question) and Hometalker's will be able to help better.

• Victoria Jechart

what kind of pillows are these? Can you do this with down pillows?

• Lori

I've washed my down pillows but I put them in a zippered pillow case first just in case the open

• Chas' Crazy Creations

My pillows are cotton outside and poly inside.

• Patrice Paige

Yes, I have Scandia down pillows and wash mine at least

annually with Hydrogen peroxide, however I do leave them in the zippered down proof pillow protectors.

• Hilary

How do you get yellow stains from the armpits of my white t shirts

• Mom29920496

I have a ne GE washer. How do you soak in this type of washer?

• Pmono7690

Does it have a pause button? If so, pause it and set your kitchen timer for the amount of time you want to soak. Then push the pause button again to turn it back on.

• Linda Enderson

Terrific! The new ones are so different and I would never have thought of this. Thanks! 👍👏

• Mom29920496

• Carole Shirreffs

I would add all the ingredients into a small amount of water, add the pillows and turn off the machine. You might want to agitate for a minute to mix the stuff.

• Kathi George

Were these down pillows?

• Mik28794282

Would this routine work for old under shirts? Mike.

• Coo32073559

What can I use besides bleach to get my bath towels to smell better?

• Linda

Sunshine.. I ha g most of my laundry outside

• Natmat57

I use ammonia in my wash with regular detergent. I just pour a ring around the top towels... wash and dry. Usually the aroma of the detergent is enhanced by the ammonia..

• Kloback

Add vinegar to your load in washer. This breaks down the built up fabric softener and softens them as well as eliminates after washing odor of towels. Use about a cup of white vinegar in place of detergent and fabric softener. Wash in hot hot water. Do this every couple months to return them to soft and fresh smelling.

• Sandy

I thought fabric softener keeps the towels from absorbing the water ?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Straight vinegar works great!

• Coo32073559

I have a front load washer. About how much ammonia would be good to use?

• Ega26356178

I love this suggestion! Do you have any tips for cleaning these expensive, memory foam with a cooling pad pillows? Thankfully, they don't seem to get that musty scalp smell, or they would be in the trash already .

• Shelley Johnson

This is fine for a top loading machine but many of us have front load now. Would this just be done in a sink and placed in washer when ready for actual laundry detergent?

• Deborah Perry Blankenship

That is what I do. Works fine for me.

• Sandy

what types of pillows are you washing, I have memory foam that are not supposed to be washed, I guess thrown away!!

• Rick

I use one of those big blue plastic storage bins. You can use it near the Washer, and the top helps hold down the pillows. Much easier than bagging things up in the kitchen to take them to the laundry. When working on my cars, I presoak the greasy clothes in a bin before washing. Works well, and was just the thing for soaking the pillows too...

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Yes that will work fine :)

• Cuf4933833

What was the contents of the pillows ? Can this be done with feather pillows?

• Sherry Wood

How are feather pillows cleaned?

• Mary Coakley

What filling is in your pillows that you can wash them what about feather pillows

• Anne Dion Mathieu

I have a front loading machine. It uses very little water, soaking would not be possible. Soaking in a tub then transferring to washer would be messy. Any suggestions?

• Jennifer Himbert Sandahl

You can use a plastic tote (like the Rubbermaid/sterilite ones. Soak it directly next to washer, then transfer.

• Pap32029500

Throw them out an buy new .

• Christine

So wasteful, even if you don't want to wash them don't throw them away. Make pet beds out of them. Pets love the smell of their humans.

• Laura Cooper

Many laundromats still have top loaders to choose from.

• Donna

How do you recommend doing this with a front loader?

• Wjo22279356

I also have a front loader and have two suggestions for you. I really dislike moving wet things to the washer so try if at all possible, so I try to do the whole cleaning in the washer.

1. Please read your manual for the machine, thoroughly. You need to know which cycle is the most appropriate to help with a soak. Normal is usually the best one.
      2. Add your wash to soak (this will usually be smaller items than a pillow, although you can do the larger items but will need to have the machine agitate a few turns more). Do NOT add whatever cleaning/soaking agent you will be using to the clothes, use the dispenser to add the agent. (You did read your manual with regard to each cycle, right? :-) )
      3. Let the machine fill until it begins the wash cycle, then pause/stop the machine. Soaking will take longer as there will be less water in the tub. I usually let it soak for about 20-30 minutes depending on what is being soaked. Then turn on the machine for a few more turns of the drum and then stop it again. Let is soak again for 20-30 minutes. It is best to try to get the clothes turned over to the otherside of the material if possible.
      4. Then wash normally. I restart the machine at the beginning after filling up the dispenser areas.

An alternate way is a little more messing and keeping in mind not having to move wet things from one place to the other, you may want to try this. I usually use this approach for very large items.

1. Get a large plastic bag, add some water (quart or so) and your solution and mix. Place bag (with the clothes and soaking mixture in the machine. Add additional water to the bag in the machine until you have enough in it to cover the item (s) and secure the top of the bag. You can add more bags but do not overdue it as the liquid in the bags cannot exceed the level in the machine up to the window lip.
      2. Let soak. When it has soaked enough, undo one bag and carefully pull the bottom of the bag out of the washer letting the liquid drain from the bag at the opening. Do the same the other bags if any.
      3. Then wash normally. Note: most machines do a drain before washing just in case any residue from previous wash, but this should not hurt the wash or lessen the effect of the soak.

• Buffy Edgar Bandley

So, how about getting rid of the lumps?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Some people put tennis balls in their drier for this. I just put mine in and then gave them a good shake and formed them back into place. My husband said his was a little more fluffy the first night but it's been fine ever since.

• Mir31721013

When i put my pillows in the washing machine/dryer, they came out lumpy. How do you prevent that???

• Judy

Put a tennis ball in the dryer it keeps it from lumping

• Chas' Crazy Creations

You can put tennis balls in the drier, if you like. For mine, I just gave them a good shake and formed them back into shape. My husband said that his pillow was a little fluffier the first night but has been fine ever since.

• BJ Beckmann

You can also use the dryer balls. They not only help keep the pillow contents from clumping, but also help dry faster.

• Twiggy

Where can u buy dryer ball

• Lo

I always have shook them and then form into shape (while they are still wet) then dry them. that helps

• Christine Tracy

I got mine at TJ Maxx, but they sell them on Amazon. I think I've seen them at Walmart and Target as well. Pretty sure I've also seen them at Walgreens.

• Theresa Esper

I found Hedgehog shaped rubber dryer balls on line. Try Amazon. You can also google wool dryer balls.

• Pat8252245

use any small ball- I use tennis balls or small rubber baseballs-dollar store

• Pat8252245

tennis balls & rubber baseballs from the dollar store are great -I use them for my towels & bedspreads all the time

• Kerry Baca

Try Amazon. My mom found some nice wool dryer balls and they were pretty inexpensive. Hope this helps

• Kerry Baca

• Ms Marianne

Why not just buy a new pillow? I mean, for the cost of washing for so long with max heat, and tumble dry for so long, too (and getting lumps and bumps on them in the process) wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy entirely new ones instead?

• Bonnie Hoffart

I agree!

• Lisa

This is the downside to our "throw away society" - I would rather wash and reuse anything that to buy a new one.

• Pat18673829

I did this once but the pillows came out a lot flatter. Couldn’t fluff them up.

• Virginia Smith

I am for replacing them for new ones. If you don´t want to throw them away you can recycle them making smaller pillows for the couches or a mat for your pet. It is not cost-time-result effective to wash them.

• Roleen

I agree, but a new pillow. Washing it

makes it lumpy. And buy pillow covers. Ross has them for such a good price. And be sure to wash ur pillow cover once a month. That’s it’s. So easy. And

• Rory McBean

I am all for trying to restore pillows over buying new. Have you seen the price for a decent pillow? All you need to do to fluff them back up is yo throw them in the dryer with a couple of new tennis balls or a clean pair of canvas tennis shoes.

• Ticia

What is the inside of the pillows made of?

• Grams

Can the vinegar, peroxide, lemon juice be used on foam pillows?

• Carolyn Frederick

Will it work on T-Shirts also

• Amb21776052

If you just soak these items (i.e. mattress pad) in a bath tub or other large plastic carrying bin, would the measurements for all the ingredients be the same?

I was assuming I need to scale it down a bit. Since I only want to soak one item, would I need to do soak for 30 minutes still? Also do you use fresh lemon juice?

Could the bottled lemon juice suffice? Thanks for your help.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I used bottled lemon juice. You could always decrease the amount your using and if you don't see a "change" you can add more. I would just keep an eye on it, if you are getting the effect you want in under 30 minutes, no need to soak longer.

• Barbara Mason

were these feather pillows?

• Pat

How would this work for a front load washer?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I think you could soak the pillows before hand in a bathtub if you were worried about it. There are some other people with front loading washers who have answered this question, maybe one of those will help?

• Michelle Powell

HHow did you deal with the lumpy pillow filling after they were dried? I've never been able to get them "fixed" after drying, so they'd be comfortable again.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Michelle, I gave them a good shake, and then worked a little at getting their shape back. Mine went right into place and my husband said his was a little extra fluffy the first night and then was fine after that. If the poly bulks up, just pull and shape it to break that up. :)

• Michele Rose Berlin

Put 2 clean tennis balls 🎾 into the dryer with the pillows. Keeps them from clumping together and nice and fluffy! 😊

• Kristine Vanderford

How can you soak with the new sensor washing machines? I hate mine! Fill a bucket like in the old days?

• Bonnielee Schoenwalder

My neice owns a business that sells appliances. I was told to push & HOLD DOWN button marked "DEEP FILL" & washer will fill to capacity....hope this helps..

• Joyce Gartzke

Could I use this solution on white lacey drapes that are getting discolored without ruining the drape??

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I would check the label on the drape to see how it can be cleaned first, and then maybe do a test run of the solution on an inconspicuous spot on the drape first.

• Anna of 4

DI'd you grind up the Castile soap or did you find it in liquid form? If so, where did you find the liquid form?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I used the liquid form and found it at my local Walmart.

• Laura Cooper

Dr Bronners soap is a liquid castile. It is easy to find. Some grocery stores will have it in the all natural body soap section of health and beauty. You can usually find other brands next to it on the shelf. I really like Dr Bronners peppermint, though, as it deodorizes as it cleans.

• Carol

Will this work on yellowing mattress pads/covers?

• Nancy Polka

I have a front loading washer. When I tried to stop it to let the pillows soak, it drained the water out. 😰

The soak setting is only 20 minutes and I can’t adjust that. Any suggestions???

• Chas' Crazy Creations

What about soaking the pillows in the solution in your bathtub and then transferring them to your washer in a bucket to complete the cycle?

• Ver2538142

You can pause it. I do that with mine.

• Holly Kay

Yea. My washer is one of those creepy sounding ones with low water. I just start the cycle and let it rotate itself. Then pause when I feel they have shift enough.

• Susie

How do you clean a yellow soiled mattress ?? It’s a pillow top mattress.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I would first spray the stain with vinegar, let it sit for a bit, then blot it up. Then spray hydrogen peroxide onto it - it is a bleach so if you are worried you can try a small spot test first - let it sit for 10 minutes and then blot up. If the stain remains spray with more peroxide and let it sit longer. Repeat this process until all of the stain is gone.

• Sandy Tibbs

Do you have a carpet cleaning machine? Add the hydrogen peroxide and other cleaning agents you prefer to the cleaner tank and go for it! If it has an upholstery attachment, that can be used too.

• Kay

Have you tried this method on kids white socks and white underwear? My kids think that you’re supposed to walk outside in white socks.

• Anna Church

I placed them in Dawn soap in a container full of water sitting out in the sun for a day. Next I place them in my washer and surprisingly they come out white!

• Chas' Crazy Creations

LOL mine too - You could try this method put them in a bucket for a smaller amount and let them soak. I have also soaked things like this in Biz Bleach in a bucket for a while before washing.

• Laura Cooper

Bought my kids bright colored socks! Lol... Problem solved! 😊

• Pat

I have 2 down pillows ...Is there anything I ought to do differently when I wash them using this method?

• Anita Brennan

How can you do this with a front loader?

• Helen Muckle

My question too, you can't really soak them.

• Lucky Lucy

Good question...I'm NOT buying a Front Loader washing machine!

• Lou

Easy. Add the peroxide and vinegar when you load the machine and (even if there is no soak cycle) you can stop the cycle once of twice to allow it to soak. Yes, you may not get the same consistency but it's better than buying a new washer. Also, many allow you to add these for the rinse cycle where you would add any other fabric softener.

• Laura Cooper

Front loaders run longer and with much less water, so you may not need to soak and the cleaners will be much more concentrated. If this isn't what you want, many laundromats still have top loaders.

• Robert Lurvey

Do you have a solution for stains in carpet’s

• Mary Smith

Try using a cup of hydrogen peroxide with a few drops of blue Dawn mixed in. Apply with an old toothbrush and let sit for thirty minutes. Scrub a little and rinse well. This usually works for me.

• Mary T.

Folex Professional Carpet Spot Remover!

• Bunny

Not clear! What kind of pillows? Down, goose down, feathers, foam, polyester, synthetic???

• Lou

ALL types can be washed.

• Donella R

Bunny as long as your tag says your pillows can be machine washed you should be able to use any of the suggestions above

• Rgo13838060

Did the pillows become "lumpy" after washing?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

They were lumpy initially after washing and drying. After giving them a good shaking they went back into form. Some have suggested tennis balls in the dryer will help as well.

• Alison 'Bair' Coatney

Are “pillow case covers” the same as pillow protectors? I use a cover that zips around the pillow to help prevent allergens, then a pillow case over that. Is there something else I don’t know about?? I am paranoid about dirty pillows, ha! Thanks for the cleaning tips, inspired me to wash mine today!

• Alexandria

I do that. I have either a zipped pillow case or an old pillow case under the top one. It does seem to help them from getting dirty or grungy looking sooner. I've seen special pillow covers to keep out allergens. Don't know how well they work though.

• Sue

Work on T-shirt’s?

• Janet

Will this mixture work to whiten cotton towels?

• Elise

I imagine it would. Towels are maybe easier and you can just let them soak in a bleach solution.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Yes, I have white towels and it works great.

• Pca24647508

Can you use it on an old quilt.

• Diane Campbell

There is a product called Retro Clean that is a soak specifically for vintage linens. Works great and doesn't damage old fabrics.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hydrogen Peroxide is like a bleach so if your quilt is white then it should work. I have used Hydrogen Peroxide to treat stains on colors before but not left it on there terribly long. If it has a color in in, I'd be careful so not to bleach it. I might suggest using Biz Bleach or something that is for sure color safe if there is color involved - or use less hydrogen peroxide.

• Donna Lee Horn

How would that work with front loaders.

• Karen Burris

how do you do this with an HE washer that locks?

• Diacrum

Put it on pause and it will unlock.

• Sue Rayfield

:-). I had my husband unscrew the little latch that locks. I store it by my detergent, well protected. After I’ve loaded my machine, I carefully insert latch into the latch opening on the machine, then carefully shut the lid (I place one folded face cloth by the latch so the lid doesn’t have it’s total weight on it (I don’t want the vibration of machine rattling on the latch).

Anyway, I’ve been doing this for over 2 years now and it’s awesome. I can now open my machine anytime I want to. This gives me more options to add a little, to test the temp of water while it’s filling (when you open the lid with latch attached, it shuts off the water, irritating)

Just make sure you store the latch where it will be protected by stuff being thrown on it, etc.

• Sue Rayfield

Oh, forgot to add; my washer is a top loader (HE washer)

• Mj

Good question. I have the same kind. Probably just do everything at once or get new pillows!

• Mary Williams Servantes

I am wondering if this will work on dress shirts. I’ve already done the soaking in vinegar and water which did a little but not enough. What would the ratio of lemon juice, vinegar and water be? Since they are not solid white I am not certain about using hydrogen peroxide.

• DB

I used to use peroxide to get stains out of white nursing uniforms-- yeah i that old. You can use it directly on spots let it sit for a few minutes and then soak as soak as above. It doesn't eat holes in your clothes like bleach.

It is also not as hard on colors but you might try a some on a less visible area. peroxide is great on organic stains -- baby spit, blood sweat etc

• Rhonda Wells Farber

Hi Chas, I have also used coffee grounds for acidic fertilizar for hibiscus and azaleas, acid loving plants. It works great and is "natural". Pickle juice from jars is also great for the same plants!!!

• Debbie Burke

Will this work on colored items as well? Or will the combination bleach out the clothing? I work where mine and my husbands clothes often have oil and grease on them, and I cannot seem to get them clean!!

• Diane Mcelhannon

Dawn dish washing solution . The blue colored original one . Takes out grease . Put dawn directly on grease stains and dampen then fabric sleghtly with water and rub together then soak in a sink with dawn for about 20 -30 minutes and then wash . If the stains aren’t too bad skip the soaking but add a little dawn with detergent in the washing machine.

• Cheri Casper

I've had the blue Dawn leave blue staining. I use the clear Dawn.

• Monica Watson

When I was a massage therapist amonia was what i used to get oil out of my uniform and towels.

• Pamela

I rub (blue) Dawn dish soap into spots or stains on cotton fabrics and toss into the washing machine, using only cold water for all wash/rinse in my machine. Then I add washing detergent. Sometimes, not often, I run the whole load through a second rinse cycle to which I add a tiny amount of fabric softener. My washer is a Heavy Duty front loader.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

My dad owns an auto body shop and we spread "Goop" on his oil and grease stains, let that sit for awhile and then launder as usual.

You can also use Dawn dish soap directly on those stains, put on, let it sit for 10 minutes, rub lightly, and then launder.

• Wgs8034926

Can you use this method to feather pillows?

• Shirley Olson

One must be careful with "feather pillows".... once the feathers get wet, they tend to stick together and will mold if not correctly cleaned and dried. I have a down comforter and I have washed it and dried it, it took a lot of effort and "air only" drying to completely clean the comforter. If your pillows were very expensive, I say try it! Otherwise it might be smarter to purchase new ones! Old trick tip: Fluff and expose your pillows to full sun for a day or two in low humidity, the UV rays will help the down fluff back up and generally remove any odd smells!!!

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I did this to my duck down pillow and it worked great.

• Kathleen

Yes. Also, do you have a solution for bugs in cloth items?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I recommend rubbing Dawn dish soap on the bug spots, let it soak for 10 minutes, then launder as usual

• Jewellmartin

I would add more bleach, especially in the rinse cycle, and run an extra rinse cycle. Follow Chaz’s recommendations for water temps and soaking. Best wishes!

• Debbie Green

How would this work with a front loading machine that you have to pay to use? Not in a laundromat but in my building?

• Joann Felters

Do the washers have slots on top of them for inserting liquids such as your fabric softener or liquid detergent? I don’t understand how a front load would be a problem since it does everything that a top load machine would do.

• Debi Crossman Singer

Front loading washers lock so you wouldn’t be able to open the door to reposition the pillows. Also, front loading use less water so would the pillows be totally soaked?

• Sherilyn Lawson

i have to use a laundromat...so it looks like all day there ;) but that's what i would recommend. since it's a one time thing, i would just find a laundromat that also has top load washers. mine has both front load and top load. (trying to pause a front load might be difficult since opening the when full is not really an option

• Debbie Green

That's what I thought. Thanks.

• Gwen Kaufman Stone Gentry

All of my pillows are down/feather so is this safe? I heard that feather pillows had to be hung to dry because the dryer would ruin them. Is this true? What about a king size feather pillow topper? Those are really too big to turn over.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I cleaned my duck down pillow this way and it worked out great for me. You can always hang them to dry if you like. I think the king pillow topper might depend on the size of your washer, but you could try it in a bath tub.

• Lynn Owens

I have owned a down duvet for over 25 years,, I have always washed it in my washer & dried it in my dryer,, no damage! 😊

• Kimberlee Muessig Kossup

I wash and dry my feather tic and comforter all the time. I have never had any issues, so I would think pillows would be fine

• Erika

I dry my down pillows and blanket by adding 4 tennis balls it fluffes the feathers and help the drying

• Cheryl

Is this safe for memory foam pillows? I have the "My Pillows."

• Anne

Did your pillows clump up when you put them in the dryer? Use dryer balls or a pair of clean sneakers (I bought a pair and keep them especially for this purpose) to keep stuffed items from clumping.

• Ellen Mayer

Does this method eliminate allergens, dust mites and germs following a cold or the flu?

• Peggy Burnette

Thank you for sharing. What dryer setting did you use?

• Kt

Will this work on T shirts?

• Donma

These were not down pillows were they? Can you do this to down?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Most were not down but my pillow was a duck down pillow and it worked on that.

• Baker lady

Yes you can wash down pillows at home. I’ve done it numerous times. Ideally I dry them outside in the heat of summer. Second option would be the clothes dryer. Pillows need to be fluffed while drying as the feathers tend to clump.

• Nikki

I was caught in a flood while traveling with my down pillows. They were soaked, and I figured they were ruined anyway, so I threw them in a Mighty Boy at a laundry mat and then into a dryer. They came out clean and fluffed up better than new.

• Rashida Erskine

What’s a Mighty Boy?

• Sylvia allsop

I haven’t heard of it but I’m almost certain it’s larger washing machine xx

• Donma

Thank you!

• Susie

If you put your down pillows in the dryer you may want to put a couple tennis balls in to fluff them and help them dry evenly.

• Bessie Bernard

what about a front loading washer

• Chas' Crazy Creations

This should work in a front loading washer too, you just won't be able to flip the pillows mid load. You could always soak the pillows in a bathtub or sink first and then put them in the washer.

• Laura

Can this be done to feather pillows?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I did wash my duck down pillow this way and it turned out great. You could also and wash your pillows in a bathtub this way and air dry them if you were worried about the washing machine and dryer breaking up the feathers.

• Kim

Is this safe for high efficiency washers?

• Robyn Garner

Yes! The only thing to watch out for with HE washers is using low sudsing detergent. Use the hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, etc. as you wish along with your normal detergent. Forego the castile soap or just use a tiny amount. 😎

• Sharon

I am wondering exactly what kind of pillows you have,,,are they poly filled or are they like foam filled???

• Dorothy Peters

how does this work with a front loading machine

• E r

We have front loaders. Can this be done in front laoder?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Yes you should be able to do this in a front loading washer. Or you can soak them in a tub first then put them in the washer.

• Ashley

you should have a setting for soaking in ur front loader

• Paula

would this be safe to use on clothing?

• Chrissy

Do I do anything different since I have a front load washer?

• Gail Grantz Couppe

You can add vinegar or peroxide to your detergent tray. They same way you should be cleaning you're washer monthly.

I live in FL and monthly disinfection of my front loader was a must. My husband recently replaced it with a top loader.

Oxiclean and LAs Awesome Oxygen powders can be added to your loads the same as any detergent too. Both are peroxide type cleaners.

Happy cleaning👍

• Karin Torrens

I add baking soda and a little bit of cream of tartar.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

You can try it out in your front loader and see how it goes. You could also soak your pillows in a tub first before putting them in your washer.

• Tracie Schillig Pinkerton

How about feather pillows? Mine don’t have a zipper to remove them, so I wondered if this works on feather pillows.

Thanks,

Tracie

• Diana

Works just fine on feather pillows also

• Cheryl

I’ve always been told not to wash feather pillows! I tried it once and ruined them since I couldn’t get all the water spun out and then tried drying them! They ended up molding!

• Jackie Painter

I have washed several down items, pillows, comforter,coats,etc put them in the dryer with tennis balls.

• Wendy Healy

You cannot wash feather pillows

• Kimmi Gadker

You can wash feather pillows!!! And yes it works on them!!! Wash all of mine every 6 months!! Buuuuut, you have to make sure they are super dry!! Happy washing!!!!

• Tracy

What is washing soda?

• Evan Hull

Will this take out blood stains?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I did a post about laundry cleaners and included how to get blood stains out. It is a mixture of 1/2 cup soap and 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, and you can find the tutorial here - https://chascrazycreations.com/diy-laundry-cleaners/

• Jody

The best thing for blood stains is peroxide. It’s what drs and nurses use when they get blood on their scrubs.

🌺Jody

• Christina Waller

Peroxide is great for removing blood stains. Apply the peroxide to the stain. It will fizz up. You can let it sit for a few minutes if you like, then use an old toothbrush or scrub brush on stain. Then wash as usual. Hope this helps

• Kristine Oh!

Hydrogen peroxide alone works miracles on blood stains! I've never found anything to work better. I just put the H2O2 right on the stain, let it sit until I see the stain breaking up, then rinse. Repeat if you think you need to, otherwise launder the item.

• Sharon

Use hydrogen peroxide. It'sa miracle worker when it comes to removing blood from anything.

• Marie Powell Weberpal

How is this suppose to work with a front load washer?

• Christina Waller

Just add ingredients as you would your laundry soap once the machine fills with water. Don’t close the compartment for the soap. Leave it open to prevent cycle from starting to soak and when your ready add soap, close compartment and wash as usual.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

• Shannon

What about pillows you cannot wash in machine?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Are you allowed to hand wash them in a tub? Perhaps that would work. Check your label on your pillow for instructions.

• Mary Clark

Try an at home dry cleaning system. I've used Dryel in the past.

• Dolores

Is this method of cleaning only for white clothing or can it be used on all colors without damaging the items?

• Donna

I hope those pillows were expensive ones because ingredients like Castile and borax are expensive in those quantities. Have you done a cost analysis?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

The cost of the hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and lemon juice is around $.50 per load. I mentioned that I tried the other option with the Castile and Borax but was not satisfied with the results.

• Leslie Johnson

Donna,

My cost analysis always includes the health risks to myself, family and pets, not to mention the environment. These are priceless. I’m not judging if you can’t afford it or prefer not to spend the money. But at the same time please do not judge us whose cost benefit analysis may be different than yours.

Whenever I have something spectacularly dirty, say from sweat or gardening and sweat, I’ll use washing soda or washing soda and borax.

But I've also purchased hydrogen peroxide in gallon jugs so that it’s even cheaper. It brightens my clothes and vinegar is a fabric softener. (As is baking soda). The smell of vinegar is long gone once the item is dry.

But for an added fragrance, I put a high quality essential oil on my dryer balls. It’s not over powering like dryer sheets are. The oil is great to keep towels from getting that funky linen closet smell.

Leslie

• Tammy Hewitt

I have a front loaded washer . Could I still do this and if so how?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

• Leslie Johnson

Or, you can stop your washer for half an hour if you don’t have the soak feature. I’ve now got a top load washer and have been amazed how many stains come out just thru soaking (I put my enviro-safe detergent in with the soaking items).

• Janice Enix

Using the front loading washer your pillows shouldn't bunch up & get lumpy like they do in a top load machine. I think they would even clean a little better.

• FdLNana

Can this be done on feather pillows? Your pillow looked bumpy. Did drying smooth them out? Did you use a tennis ball when drying?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

One of my pillows was a duck down pillow that I used in the video. I didn't use tennis balls, might next time. I gave them a good shake and for non feather pillows did a little pillow adjusting. They shaped back into place fine.

• Melody Boling Medlock

I have washed and dried my pillows numerous times over the years. From my experience you should always use tennis balls in a sock when drying. It makes a HUGE difference in how they come out of the dryer.

• Leanne Watts

What if you have one of those HGE washers that don't fill with water??

• Linda

What other things can you clean with these product. Like curtains or chair covers.

• Kathy Walters

What if you have to use laundromat washers?

• Joan

I am on a septic system..Javex is a NO NO..how about this..will it be safe for the septic bed...thanks..

• Ana

What is Javex? You mean that you have a septic tank under the house, right?

• Susan Gartin

Joan, you should have a grey field for your washing machine and shower this doesn't go into your septic. Grey water is usually just soapy, used water.

• Denise Wiglesworth Fuson

If you're like me, you don't have a grey water line. The peroxide/vinegar/lemon juice should be fine in your septic system. I've used these many times with no issues.

• Sooz

I would think vinegar and lemon r safe !

• James McLaughlin

I have a front load washer ? This project will not work with my washer?

• Rebecca Jones

I have the same question; we can't soak with the front loading washers. :(

• Nikki

Well just soak the items in a tub or bucket, then put into the washer when ready to wash.

• Lynne

My front loader has a soak option.

Yours should and my machine is 13 years old. Check your manual

• Gail

Why I never want a front load washer. so many limitations.

• Ardale

I also have a front loading washer and mine has a soak cycle. Mine is a Kenmore Elite. Can also pause and resume any cycle. Check your manual and see if yours can do this too. If not you'll have to resort to soaking in your tub then transferring over to your washing machine using a large plastic tote box. Am going to try this since I keep all the ingredients on hand and my hubby's pillows are always yellow from his oily skin and smoking. Thanks for sharing this tip!

• Tiruchirapuram Kandaswami

How to do this in a front loading washing machine. Please guide.

• Nikki

Well just soak the items in a tub or bucket and put in the washer when ready to wash.

• Brenda

I guess you could do this. But aren't you supposed to replace pillows about every 6 mths? That's why I don't buy expensive ones.

• Melanie Newby

White vinegar???

• Brenda

What about front loader machine..HE ... these products do not damage the machine?

• JMiz

I have a Bosch front loader and use household vinegar all the time instead of fabric softener. Clothes come out soft and fresh smelling. Also use baking soda and vinegar in a paste to remove grease stains with no harm to the washer.

• Helen Serrett

Great idea...thanks! I use peroxide for carpet stains.

P.S. Wine stains on your pillow? Hmm.

• Treva

I think I’d just buy new pillows. Still not white like I like.

• Ileana

Agree! It would be cheaper than all the products washes and drying.

• J.h.wallace

You must find pillows for less than I do. Most are 45.00 to 60.00. I do love

and hate washing them so I do indulge. I have washed many and may try this one time.

• Cathy Hays

Exactly! My Pillows are $60+ easily! Anything that I can do to extend the life of those suckers I do it! I have Bleached mine in the Past so I love this alternative. Definitely going to give it a try.

• Doris Hock

How do you do soak in a front loader.

• Viv

I just set my front loader for my longest wash cycle..plus an extra rinse.. (as I have No Soak Cycle)..I just pour ingred. Right In tub before...I put pillows/ items in..along with a glass of water..my soap I put as usual in the dispenser! Hope this helps.

• Autumn

You can always use a big plastic bin in the bath tub, or the bath tub itself. Go big or go home, right?! You'll have to wring them out by hand and then run them wet through the washer. But it's do able. Anyone who suffers from allergies should be washing pillows frequently.

• Edie

How to do this in a front loader washer

• Fran

Can you do this to feather pillows?

• Lulu Hernandez

I use that for my down and feather pillows. It works

• Offaly

I washed my feather pillows and all the feathers clumped together. I don't have a dryer and they took forever to dry and actually were very smelly afterwards.. The next time I put the feathers in a plastic bag and washed the cover separately. This was fine if you don't mind finding feathers for days afterwards. I also put dried lavender in the feathers when I put them back.

Hazel

• I wash my feather and down pillows all the time. Water is not the enemy, chemicals are. I still have down pillows my mom made in 1957.

For those like Hazel that don't have a dryer, they need to be shook and fluffed up several times during the drying process. I dry in the sun between old sheets or beach towels, and fluff every time you turn them.

• Connie L.

Can you use this on white shirts?

• Dell

Any ideas on how to clean grease off pots. I hate when my son & his girlfriend cooks - my pots are always filled with burnt on grease. Also how to remove it from cooper pots and bring bac the shine. 🤞🏾

• Norma

I put mine in my sink sprinkle them with baking soda and pour vinegar on them. Once the fizz is gone cover with hot water add dawn dish soap and let set for 10 minutes. This works for me every time. When it comes to copper pans i simply use a rag and cover with toothpaste let dry and buff it off with a clean cloth. It always works for me. Let me know how it works for you

• Suzzanne Doublez

Give your son and his girlfriend Dawn dishwashing liquid so he can clean the pans that he and she uses. Tell them to boil water in the dirty pans if that doesn’t work. You’re not their maid. Also give them a tutorial on on how to NOT get the pans in that condition in the first place.

• Judy

Ketchup on them let them soak salt too. Scrub.

• Donna

Would love to try this but live in an apartment with commercial machines. There is no soak cycle. Would this work without the soak? Thank you.