How to Clean Down Pillows
My sister got me hooked on down pillows. It was after I noticed the poly-foam-filled pillows in the wash cycle. When the pillows were immersed in water the pillow fill resembled the underside of the carpet pad of a twenty-five-year-old, damp basement carpet.
With that visual in my head that cannot be undone, I was done with those mystery fill pillows.
Because my sister and I talk about everything from Schitt's Creek to down pillows she shared with me how to clean down pillows. Gather up your pillows and get ready for an assembly line set up to wash.
HOW TO CLEAN DOWN PILLOWS
1. COLLECT YOUR PILLOWS IN PAIRS
2. REMOVE THE DECORATIVE PILLOW COVER
3. IF YOU HAVE A WORN DOWN PILLOW (FEATHERS POKING OUT) STICK YOUR PILLOW INTO A PLAIN PILLOWCASE.
4. TURN YOUR WASHING MACHINE TO THE GENTLE/SLOW CYCLE.
5. ADD 2 PILLOWS PER WASH WITH PILLOWS ON OPPOSITE ENDS TO BALANCE THE WASHING MACHINE.
6. ADD POWDER DETERGENT. DO NOT USE LAUNDRY PODS. LAUNDRY PODS CAN ATTACH TO PILLOWS LIKE LEECHES.
7. WHEN TRANSFERRING TO THE DRYER ADD A TENNIS BALL TO THE DRYER
(IT WILL BE LOUD, BUT IT HELPS TO DRY THE PILLOWS). I TURN MY HEAT ON HIGH TO DRY THE DOWN.
** It kills me not to add a little bleach but apparently it strips the oils from the feathers. With that said, I may add a smidge.
** In the summer I love to dry my pillows between two white towels outside. A breeze is an added bonus!
** Check and clear your lint trap on your dryer.
That's it. It does take longer between the wash and dry cycle so it feels like an all-day gig.
I break my pillows into sizes and wash the sleep pillows on one day and the square down pillows for another day. The square pillows get a lot of use during the holidays.