DIY Silver Tray Wreath!

$100

Want to make a bold statement in the dining room? Then this DIY project is for you!
I saw a picture of a tray wreath years ago in a magazine and knew one day I'd make one. It took me a while to collect several silver trays from thrift stores and antique malls because I didn't pay more than $8.00 for any one of them.
You only need 10 silver trays to make a 42" tall wreath. You could also make it as small or as large as you want but I think anything larger would be hard to handle when turning it over. First use rubbing alcohol to clean the trays. I liked the tarnished look so didn't bother with cleaning the silver.
Lay out 5 trays in a circle with the ones you want on top first. Lay them face down. Then place the top 5 in between in the gaps. Now take a picture of it or mark them on the backs with painters tape.
I think the hardest part is turning them over and placing them just right while they are upside down. But this is the most time consuming part of this DIY. And important. You don't want your wreath to be egg shaped because you didn't pay attention to the first circle.
Next comes the fun part. Slightly lift up the top trays and start hot gluing them. Glue wherever the top tray comes in contact with the bottom tray. Push down and hold for about 45 seconds each time you glue.
You can't have to much glue. We added extra beads to the top side when we felt they were stuck together well. If you want to make one and want to see more detailed steps, visit the blog and get started! You'll love the statement it makes. I've had several compliments.

Cindy Richter

• Deb

Love this. Just curious how you hung this on wall as it would be fairly heavy. Thanks

• Deb

Thanks for quick response. Will check blog. :)

• Pammie348

I still haven't found what you hung it with. What did you put on the back to hold it on the wall with ?

• Cindy Richter

Sorry that this just came through on my emails! It's still holding with the hot glued hanger. We have it hung to the wall with a simple 25 pound nail and hook but the gorilla hangers work like magic too. I've used those several times.

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

Maybe someone will know the answer to this. I totally love this project, but I would want the silver a little less tarnished. Once I had them like I wanted them, is there a finish I could put on them that would make them stay the way they were?

• Pam Rosenberg

Some tarnish / yellowing adds to the vintage charm. Research the idea of a spray; it could crack and then you'd have a worse mess on your hands. There are good quality polishes/cleaners that also claim to prevent tarnish. Look online for reviews or ask at a jeweler or antique shop.