Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
  • Hometalk Helper
  • United States

Gussied up Ol' Gal

$0
1 Day

I got this bench from my grandparents when they moved a couple years ago and it's just been sitting here lookin yucky, but I'm gonna try to remedy that
gussied up ol gal
Here she is after I already started to take her apart. I started out by removing all the seat boards and hardware. Put the hardware in a bowl or something so you don't lose any
gussied up ol gal
Here's the yucky boards I removed (See? Told ya. Yucky.)
Start out by sanding the boards down.
Sand some more
gussied up ol gal
Then, after all the old stain and varnish is gone, open up your sander like this
gussied up ol gal
Dump out some of your sawdust onto something you can throw out. I used a coffee can lid
gussied up ol gal
Take your wood glue and Squirt a little onto your dish
gussied up ol gal
Using your putty knife, mix it up really well until you have a paste
gussied up ol gal
Use it to fill in the old knot holes
gussied up ol gal
Let it dry, then sand some more. Sand until everything is clean and smooth and you have removed all of the glue mixture from the surface
gussied up ol gal
Wipe everything down with a damp cloth. Let it dry
gussied up ol gal
Wipe on your stain. This was a sample i received called fern by permachink
gussied up ol gal
Stain all the pieces, let em dry
gussied up ol gal
Seal it all up with a couple of clear coats. Let it dry really well before moving on to the next step. i waited till the following morning.
gussied up ol gal
Replace the boards and install the hardware
Ta da! Here she is...
Ta da! Here she is...
Step back and admire your gussied up ol' gal! Isnt she pretty?

General Finishes Water Based Dye Stain Green Quart

• Evanan

Could you possibly use some of the new decking materials like Trex? Our old bench was riddled by carpenter bees and many slats pretty much fell apart.

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Personally, I think that stuff is trash, but lots of folks swear by it and are prepared to fight if you don't agree! In my opinion, the stuff god provided for us is 100× better than anything produced in a lab! And that applies to most things, not just lumber!

• Julie Winborn Franks

In the last picture, is that a wooden bed frame? If so, did you use any of it in this project? I acquired several King size-mismatched pieces (still in boxes), and have been looking for a use. And, I also love the stain color!

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

It is parts of a kids bunk bed set. No, I didn't use any for this project. I used them for a potting bench I threw together with scrap. Glad you like the stain, it's certainly not something you see everyday 😊

• Patricia

Aw, beautiful! I didn't know to take the wood off and redo it. Really keeps the DIY cost lower. Glad I saw your post, thanks for sharing your project, especially the one about making the wood glue mix - very clever! Would you recommend painting the cast iron frame? Ours if unevenly faded in certain areas.

• If you feel like painting the frame then I say go for it! Rustoleum is great for cleaning up rusty metal and if you're feeling adventurous they have sooo many colors to choose from. I gave mine a wipe down with an oil based product called dap that's used for preventing corrosion in metal stuff that is left in the elements. My bench has ivy and some people suggested painting the ivy but I prefer the metal look. Just do whatever feels right to you

• Thea

Ewe! Pea green!

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Well that ol gal turned out to be a beauty in disguise  Love how she turned out and the green was a great choice for something that's going outside. She'll tone in where ever you put her. It almost looks like she's growing herself a mossy cloak

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Its funny you said that about the moss, thats exactly why i chose that color. At that time, My kids and i had just "harvested" a bunch of moss to go on and around our little pond. You puree it with some buttermilk, leave it outside in the shade for a couple days, then just paint it wherever you want it. We coated the concrete sphere with it. Turned out pretty cool