Beth Kingston
Beth Kingston
  • Arnold, MD

Wood Spoon Garden Markers

$10

With some inexpensive spoons and paint, you can create some colorful wood spoon garden markers that are practical as well as pretty!

wood spoon garden markers

These wood spoon garden markers are the perfect way to bring a little creativity and color to your garden! Personally, I love color! So, this project was a great way to not only bring some color to my garden but it also allowed me to use some of my "leftover" paints as well.

Learn how to create your own Wood Spoon Garden Markers by following the tutorial below!

wood spoon garden markers

Here are the supplies you will need:

• wooden spoons
  • acrylic paint
  • washi or painters tape
  • foam brushes
  • paper plate
  • Mod Podge Outdoor
  • stickers or vinyl words - I used my Cricut Maker and white vinyl
wood spoon garden markers

Step 1: Wrap washi or painters tape around the base of each spoon.

wood spoon garden markers

Step 2: Use a foam brush to paint each spoon (I chose the paint colors to “match” the vegetable/fruit).

wood spoon garden markers

Step 3: Let dry. A tall cup can easily fit six spoons at once! Paint a second coat if necessary.

wood spoon garden markers

Step 4: Cricut has a cartridge called ''Freshly Picked'' that has over a dozen different plant names ready to be cut. Since I used this particular cartridge, it took me less than five minutes to create the labels for my garden markers. 

Don't have a Cricut? Stickers would work just as well.

wood spoon garden markers

Step 5: Remove the tape from the spoon and add the plant name.

PS...normally I would use transfer tape for vinyl, but these were small enough that I just peeled them right off and applied them to the spoons.

wood spoon garden markers

Step 6: Add a layer of outdoor Mod Podge to each spoon.

wood spoon garden markers

And voila! With some acrylic paint and vinyl letters, you can easily transform those inexpensive wooden spoons into fun garden markers!

Also, even though I made vegetable themed garden markers, you could easily create garden markers for your herbs or flowers!

To get more project inspiration for your home and to learn more about the products used in this project, stop by my blog!

Beth Kingston

• Kelli

I am kind of curious if a chalk paint marker would work on the acrylic paint for labeling?

• Beth Kingston

Cheryl is totally right! :) You'd still need the Mod Podge but otherwise you would be good to go.