How To DIY A Headboard In 15 Minutes

$350

You seriously can DIY this headboard in 15 minutes! If you have small children or grandchildren, it might be a great time to get them to help out with a fun project to build their confidence in DIY projects for the home. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and a drill.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
We decided to try a DIY headboard kit from Stikwood. They manufacture peel and stick reclaimed wood planks. Honestly, we have had so much going on lately, the box remained unopened in our garage for weeks. We thought that this headboard project was going to require a lot of our time to construct, so we wanted to make sure we had an entire day cleared before we started.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
When we opened the box and saw the contents we were both so surprised that not only was everything nicely organized and labeled for us, we immediately knew this wasn’t going to be another DIY project that would consume our entire day to build. Yay! I love projects like this!

To tell you the truth, when we first saw the reinforced cardboard, we were a little concerned about quality.  After all, DIY’ers like us are used to working with a lot of sturdy and reliable wood, using hammers, nails and drills to construct and build projects. However, we were truly amazed how strong and firm the reinforced cardboard was and thought “Why didn’t we think of that?”

Let us walk you through the quick steps to show you how we finished this DIY headboard in 15 minutes.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
STEP 1
Press on the the two pieces of wood trim that are provided in the kit. The side trim was already installed.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
STEP 2
Starting in top left corner, take the corresponding labeled reclaimed wood plank and peel off the 3 strips of paper.

Firmly place plank on the corresponding labeled letter on the headboard. We ended up laying the headboard on the ground to stick all the other planks on. This way we could put more weight on the planks to ensure that they adhered well. Although the reinforced cardboard is strong, we wouldn’t advise standing on or putting your entire body weight on it. Simply continue the process until all the planks have been applied.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
Voila! You have now learned how to make a headboard in 15 minutes! Now, all we need to do is hang it on the wall. Visit our blog post to see step by step instructions to hang the headboard.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
These kits come in weathered wood, white wood, gray and Sierra Silver. They will even send you samples if you can’t decide.

Here is the before photo without our reclaimed weathered wood headboard.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
Here is the after photo. We absolutely love it and feel that we have added a dreamy rustic element to our coastal guest bedroom.
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
how to diy a headboard in 15 minutes
If you visit Stikwood's website and find that you aren't up for paying for convenience. Why not try the same thing with MDF board and peel and stick wood planks you can pick up at your local home improvement store? We would love to hear other ideas of how you can DIY this yourself using other materials.

Diane and Dean DIY

• The Snarky Princess

I love how simple ( I could see this as a simple table top even.). My question for you is how does it get attached to the bed or the wall? I see all these great projects but never how to attach a headboard.

Thanks so much for sharing this project! Love how it looks in the room

• Jeanne Martin

As Janet (above) says you could add legs but when I made my headboard with legs I just pushed my bed against it and it holds it up just fine. I didn't attach mine to my bedframe.

Just thought I'd mention it cuz it makes it one step easier.

• Diane

How thick was it when finished?

• Emmawilliams1

very nice but pricey? $350.00? Looks very good though!

• Juana

I did the same headboard with thin tri ply and pieces of fencing slats and 2 1x4 posts; It is heavy but at the same time it stays leaning between bed and wall easily

• Goldbeargirl

I could see using that for more than just a headboard! I have ideas.....Thank you!!