Sarah's Big Idea
Sarah's Big Idea
  • Minneapolis, MN

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover (Actually, It Was More Like Plastic Surgery).

$200.00
3 Months

You won't believe these are the same cabinets! I mean, I have a hard time believing it, and I was there for the entire 5-part transformation. All three months of it. (Don't worry, it wasn't hard. I bet you could do it faster.)
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Kitchen Cabinets after
Kitchen Cabinets: after.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Kitchen Cabinets before
Kitchen Cabinets: before.
As you can see from the pictures, there was quite a bit more to this makeover than a couple coats of paint. For 10 months, these cheap, orange cabinets sat in our basement while we overhauled the kitchen above. Once we finished building our new walls, we hung the cabinets back up, and I set about disguising them. Step 1 was a process known as "embiggening" the cabinets (that's a technical term, I swear).
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Step 1 Make the cabinets look taller
Step 1: Make the cabinets look taller.
I built a box out of MDF and anchored it to the wall (you can read more about that process here: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2013/08/embiggening-the-cabinets/). I chose MDF because it's cheap yet paintable. This was the point where most of my friends and family began to doubt my design judgement. They clearly lack my vision. In the face of dissent, I just did what I always do: I stuck my fingers in my ears and yelled “LA-LA-LA-LA-LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU AND MY IDEA IS AWESOME LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!” and barrelled on through to Phase 2: Painting.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Step 2 Paint
Step 2: Paint.
I sealed up the kitchen, a la Dexter, and broke out my paint sprayer for this job (which I detail here: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2013/09/pimp-my-cabinets-phase-2-the-painting-is-done/). I went with Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo -- yup, that's oil-based -- in Mountain Peak White. The best part was keeping the windows open and the A/C off during the hottest week of the year, to allow the paint fumes to escape. Nothing like wearing a paint suit and respirator in a plastic tent in Minnesota in August to make you really wish you had just forked over the cash for new cabinets. Too bad we were fresh out of cash. Anyway. Once the cabinets looked more like cabinets and less like a collection of cardboard boxes taped to the wall, I moved on to Phase 3: adding crown molding.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Step 3 Add some fancy trim
Step 3: Add some fancy trim.
Ugh, crown molding. How many angles can there possibly be? All I can say is, thank God for wood filler and paint. Let's just say that quality craftsmanship is NOT one of the reasons this whole cabinet makeover took so long. There's more to that story, which you can find here: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2013/09/pimp-my-cabinets-phase-3-crowning-achievement/. But, it did eventually get done, and it looked pretty good, too. So I commenced Step 4: Making the Insides Pretty Too.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Step 4 Decorate
Step 4: Decorate!
FABRIC! For $7.99 a yard, plus spray adhesive, I covered up the particle-board backs of the cabinets (more on that here: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2013/09/pimp-my-cabinets-phase-4-its-whats-on-the-inside-that-counts/). You might not think this is an important step, but let me ask you this: does your spouse leave the cabinet doors open after he's done in the kitchen? Or "she," I guess, but this seems like something only guys do. Does it drive you nuts? I feel your pain! That's why I came up with the fabric solution! Now I can enjoy pretty pink zigzags while passive-aggressively shooting dirty looks at my husband and refusing to just close the damn cabinet door myself! Everybody wins! Speaking of doors:
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Step 5 Bling
Step 5: Bling.
I figured, if the doors had to cover up the happy pink zigzags, then we might as well make the doors look classy. My version of “classy” involves spray paint, by the way. And, I wrote a decent tutorial on how to make the installation of hardware easier (here: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2013/10/pimp-my-cabinets-phase-5-adding-the-bling/). And now? It’s time for vindication that my judgement was spot-on. Let's have one more before-and-after, shall we?
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Cabinets before
Cabinets: before.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Cabinets after
Cabinets: after.
Okay, okay, one more:
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Before
Before.
kitchen cabinet makeover actually it was more like plastic surgery, diy, home decor, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, After
After.
I love a good before-and-after, don't you?
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 27, 2018 8:25 AM - More info
Sarah's Big Idea

• Can I paint laminate cabinets

• Nancy Shoucair

Can you paint over laminate. My Cabinets have laminate on them and I would like to paint over it. How do I do that. Thank you Nancy Shoucair

• James Noon

Clean and Sand them, prime them, paint them. A useful tips, paint the cabinets over your work area with chalkboard paint and add a couple clips to hold recpies

• Connie Riojas

Were your cabinets prefab, if so did you have to sand anything off? I have white cabinets and they were built in and were painted poorly. The paint keeps peeling. We repainted them and used paint brushes. Should we have used the paint sprayer? It seems that some of the paint is wearing out. What do you suggest?