Choyce
Choyce
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

Protecting Birds One Window at a Time

$1

Last year we had over a dozen bird strikes on our windows. Sadly, at least seven of these lovely creatures died immediately, and who knows how many struggled with injuries for some time after hitting the windows. I went online to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology for help.

They recommended some options, one of which was placing vertical bars across the glass. Well, being basically a frugal (cheap) person, I cast about for something that would be similar, inexpensive and easy, yet not permanent. Not permanent in case it didn't work.
protecting birds one window at a time
We are in a heavily wooded area, near water, so the trees and bushes are loaded with nesting birds. American Goldfinch, Song Sparrow, Robin, Warblers, Downy Woodpeckers to name a few, are some of the birds that have died because of our windows.
protecting birds one window at a time
The bird site recommended black vertical lines. I was lucky to find a ball of very thick black yarn and figured this would work out .
protecting birds one window at a time
This is how thick it is.
protecting birds one window at a time
At first I hung the yard from the top using a staple gun and left them loose at the bottom. Well before an hour went by the wind had whipped them into a tangle... not too effective!
protecting birds one window at a time
So I knotted the ends and stapled them down to the bottom of the windows.
protecting birds one window at a time
I know it looks a little like prison cell bars, but we got used to them very quickly.
protecting birds one window at a time
I got both sides of the house done last fall and all through this spring, when the birds are most active, we have had NOT ONE bird hit a window. It may look a little weird but to me it is well worth it. Cleaning the windows is only slightly more challenging and because the yarn has some give, I can get my hands in there very well.
Now he's got a much better chance for survival!

• Jeannie.mcquaid

I will have to look at doing something like this. We love watching the birds at the feeders from our breakfast nook. But we have had many casualties, i think because the birds mistake the reflection of the trees in the window glass for real ones.

• Choyce

According to the Cornell university information, the birds could see the reflected trees as a pass through, OR they could see their own reflections and think it is a rival or something. interesting

• Linda

Brava, Choyce!