Using Logs to Border Your Plants & Making a Wall Trellis

$8

I decided I wanted to grow something on the back of the house. It was a boring wall really- it needed a trellis. And I wanted to border it in some way but didn't want to spend much.

The wall itself faced the sun each morning which seemed promising.

It had a wood board both left and right already attached so I decided if I strung wire there something that would vine upward would be great.

We purchased some eye screws and already had wire from another project so we could but something that would grow upward and outward to cover the space. We Also purchased some wood stakes for the border.

It was simple to attach the eye screws to the wood.

And run the wire from one side to the other.

We made several rows of wire going up high hoping that whatever we planted would spread wide and high.

Then we trimmed some tree branches we'd cut down so they were as straight as possible and fit the space.

We stacked them 2 high and screwed them together and to the wood stakes for stability.

We stapled the black landscaping fabric to the wood, tucked it along the back wall and cut an X in the fabric to insert the plants with some good dirt for growth.

We also got some pea gravel type pebbles to cover up the landscaping fabric. Our neighborhood has alot of feral cats and for some reason they don't like the pea gravel which makes me happy.

We're hopeful the plants will grow quickly...

Come on Spring!

Below I list all materials and tools we used for this project . We had many of the tools and materials already as most of you will too. I'd estimate we have perhaps $8 in materials to make this.

For those concerned about termites I think this is no different then using wood chips as mulch I'd think. We do spray for bugs all around the house.

Here's a followup picture as it slowly starts to get some growth! I'll post another as it continues.

3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month

• Linda Burgess

What about termites I had wood post around my house it attracted termites 🤪🤨

• Carol f engler

if the wood is coated termites will probably not touch it, check with a wood manufacture

• Rhonda Miller

I like it. Looks rustic. I would think the logs would rot and draw bugs though. Where do you live?

• Pf.341098

More of a thought than question, but are you having to tie the plants to the cords or do they have tendril that grab on on their own? As a landscaper, I would suggest that you make sure there is air circulation between the plants and your siding. And tendrils have a tendency to go under your siding and could cause damage. I would hate for you to have an issue, after it starts to fill in and look gorgeous. Best of luck!

• Rhonda Miller

I

• Sandra

Lob ot beautiful. What type of plants did you use? Will they grab the wire themselves like grapevine? I live in az and have onl found tings i need to train up.