Joy Bracewell
Joy Bracewell
  • Palm Bay, FL

Old Cloth and Concrete Wash = Flower Pots

Concrete Wash
Concrete Wash
Results...
Results...
http://www.thehypertufagardener.com/oh-the-possibilities.../
This is the web site for further instructions. Sorry I can't add more but not use to this web site. I haven't made one yet so I can't fill in any of the cost.

• Nan3032004

Besides portland cement do you add peat or anything for textures?

• Kat3691711

πως μπορω να το φτιαξω?

• Rafael Aiello

Cómo hacer contener con telas y. Concreto?

• Ellen

Did you seal the containers? If so, what did you use. Love the idea and will share with my garden club Thanks Ellen

• Hus4912094

I was wondering does this hold up outside in the elements

• Jean Gemar

I made 3 pots out of masonry mix, peat moss, perlite and a hardener soaked towels in this mix and my pots didn't get hard either. Can I go over them with something to harden them? Any help would be appreciated!

• Guy8471224

Yes you can go over them again. I have made about twenty of these pots from the size of a tall bar stool to a 8" pot. I went over about five of them and it worked great. Good Luck!!

• Carla Eichman Schalk

I also tried this and mine would not stiffen either. What is the secret? I used a very light fabric.

• Barbie

I used concrete. Horrible mess, had to sit away the stones. But, I let it hang for a week or so, and it did get very nice and stiff. I just took it off the stand, and have no picture yet, but just let it hang for a while. It was sunny and hot when I made it. During the time before I took it off the stand, it was a lot of rain coming down. But, it is good! I used bath towel!

• Linda Shockley

I find the cloth you are going to usehas to be 100%cotton.

• Lilas

Hello please help me understand the technique for the skin flowers with towels what should I do thank you and goodbye (tranlated from French):Bonjour svp aidez moi à comprendre la technique pour les peaux de fleurs avec des serviettes que dois je faire merci et à bientôt

• Tim

Hi, There are several recipes that you can use to make these vases. I'll tell you what I have to try myself. You must mix the dry ingredients first so ..... 4 Portland cement shares, 1 share of sphagne (peat moss) and 1 part perlite mix .... When you make sure that there are no large pieces .... Add a little bit of water to have a mixture of consistency as cottage cheese. Then wet your towel with water and twist to remove the water. Dip your towel in the cement mixture jusqua what this is all soaked cement. Now deposit the towel on your form (a pot to dun coated plastic bag) raised so that the towel does not touch the ground. Cover of a plastic bag for two days ... two days after removing the form and still cover of a plastic bag for another 24 hours. Now your vase should be ready to paint or such. I hope that I explain. Good project. (translated from French):Bonjour, Il y a plusieurs recettes que vous pouvez utiliser pour faire ces vases. Je vais vous dire ce que j ai essayer moi-meme. Vous devez melanger les ingredients secs en premier.....donc 4 parts de ciment Portland, 1 part de sphagne (peat moss) et 1 part de perlite.... Quand vous melanger assurez-vous quil ny a pas de gros morceaux....Ajouter peu a peu de l eau pour avoir un melange de consistence comme du fromage cottage. Ensuite mouiller votre serviette avec de l eau et tordre pour extraire l eau. Tremper votre serviette dans le melange de ciment jusqua ce quelle soit toute imbiber de ciment. Maintenant deposer la serviette sur votre forme (un pot en envers recouvert dun sac de plastique) sureleve pour que la serviette ne touche pas par terre. Couvrir dun sac en plastique pour 2 jours... apres 2 jours retirer la forme et le recouvrir encore dun sac en plastique pour un autre 24 heures. Maintenant votre vase devrait etre pret a peinturer ou tel quel. Jespere que je me suis bien expliquer. Bon projet.

• Lilas

Merci beaucoup pour votre réponse je vais le faire et je vous envoie des images mille merci

• Margaret Lane

I made some of these pots mine. Did not get stiff even have used to type. Of cement

• Carole

Ask the people at Home Depot or Lowes for the SMOOTH cement mix. It makes all the difference in the world. Don't leave your project in the sun & leave the plastic on for at least a couple of days. Heavy burlap from a fabric store works very well & hangs nicely. Make sure after wringing out the water from the fabric that you really saturate the fabric with the cement mix. Don't make the mix too thin, it won't last or it will crack very easily. Put plastic over the item(s) that your covering with the fabric. I leave the plastic inside the form when I take it off & fill the bottom with styrofoam for the drainage. You can also drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the pot carefully.

• Pat16064143

Where are the instructions?

• Shawna Bailey

You just water down concrete, using about double the water that the ingredients call for on the package then mix the cloth in very and lay over a bucket to dry.

• Shawna Bailey

I made mini lace handkerchiefs into planter with them

• Pat16064143

Thanks Shawna, but does it matter if we use concrete or cement?

• Toni Derooy

Hi l tried this and found it didn't harden so l played with the recipe - this is what worked for me 1 part sand 1 part peat 4 parts cement - not the quick /rapid set stuff just plain old cement here are some l made 3 days ago l leave them upside down till they are set and then because l like the look l paint them and then plant them up l use old towels and sacking for my fabric

, Upside down drying l spray the planter with water after about 3 hrs x to help prevent cracking, Planter in front l have painted blue l will pot it up with a orange pansy or similar flower
    • Pat16064143

Hi Toni...I'll give it a go this summer, hopefully, I'm in an apartment building. They truly look great, thank you for your input.

• Charlotte

Concrete is after the cement is mixed and set.

• Jypsyy

She gives a website that has the directions and recipe go take a look....
  • Julie

How do you keep the cloth from sticking to the bucket?
  • Alta Bezuidenhout

What do I need for this project please
    Thank you
    • GrandmaHoney

Portland cement sand peat moss. Mix into a slurry texture. Dip material (don’t wring it out) and drape over pot. Make narrow tower for draping that is taller than the towel you are using.

• Has31405487

Hi
    What is the concrete mix that you used
  • Santie

What do I need for this project. What type of concrete mix do I use

I am Santie my email adres is admin1@mooiwes.co.za

• Tom Mcknight

why Portland cement

• June

Would Quick Dry cement do? Or is that the one that you used? Normally not so lumpy just open bag add water and go with it. Oh can you put a dye in it ?

• Estelle

Can i use quick dry cement and add colouring or paint it

• Lorraine

Can anyone help me, i just can't get my pots to harden i have dipped them twice now and still there are floppy

• Terri Kelley Davis

Instead of towels I have used a sheet that I have cut into squares of different sizes. It looks great, I do need to sand the bottom to insure it maintains balance.