Beth
Beth
  • Athens, GA

A Coastal Farmhouse Kitchen!

$500
2 Weeks

The kitchen in our Victorian farmhouse style home was kind of bland and boring. A few fairly easy updates has bought us some time until we can do a more extensive remodel later. Check it out!
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
Here is the realtor photo of the kitchen- very farmhouse, even more so than I like.
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
And here's an all over after. I kind of hate closed off upper cabinets, so removing the doors on most of the uppers was the very first thing that I did. I also painted the uppers off white and the lowers a mint green.
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
I added subway tile to the backsplash and carried it over the top of the cabinets as well. I'm a huge fan of subway tile- it's such a classic look, inexpensive, and an easy DIY!
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
Here you can get a better look at the subway tile over the cabinets...and also how I tend to change things up on the shelves and counters :-) We also changed out the lighting by adding this coastal-vibe chandelier in place of the fluorescent lighting strip that was in here before.
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
We don't have a separate dining room in our house, just this little eat in dining area. It's a little small for us and how we live and entertain right now, but we make it work. Luckily in Georgia, where we live, the outdoor entertaining season is most of the year!
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
This hutch is an antique, made by my family years ago- they were furniture makers. I love having it in this space!
a coastal farmhouse kitchen
Thanks for taking a peek at my kitchen! Check out the full blog post for the full tour!

Beth

• She31423333

Did you light the inside & if so - are the shelves glass ?

• Beth

I didn't, but would love to add lights at some point!

• Marge

What did I miss...Took another look, and discovered that doors left open (initially I had thought 'glass'). So much better than black gadgets/gidgets handles visually smacking you in the eye...great idea, job!

• Linda Cox

I’m not a fan of subway tile but I love this! Taking it up over the cabinets just elevates the look. Great job!

• Marie Tuttle

This project looks great, but we live in a mobile home and the cabinets and doors have the picture type finish. Could we paint over the doors as you have. My cabinets are dark reddish mahogany and I was thinking of painting the doors a light color, maybe light tan or ?? Do you or anyone have any suggestions. I love your colors, but my home is mostly tan. Darn, the mobile home manufacturer uses the same color for the whole house. I'm open for any CHEAP ideas as we are retired and on a very tight budget. Thanks, Marie

• Kay

I agree with Beth a light color will open and brighten a space up. It would be such a big change from a reddish color and if its too much all at once try pale yellows, sandy colors or mushroom they go well with tan. Experiment! try out test pots before you commit to a color it saves alot of work, paint can look so good in the tin but totally different on your walls/cupboards!! Good Luck..