A Coastal Farmhouse Kitchen!

$500
2 Weeks

The kitchen in our Victorian farmhouse style home was kind of bland and boring. A few fairly easy updates has bought us some time until we can do a more extensive remodel later. Check it out!
Here is the realtor photo of the kitchen- very farmhouse, even more so than I like.
And here's an all over after. I kind of hate closed off upper cabinets, so removing the doors on most of the uppers was the very first thing that I did. I also painted the uppers off white and the lowers a mint green.
I added subway tile to the backsplash and carried it over the top of the cabinets as well. I'm a huge fan of subway tile- it's such a classic look, inexpensive, and an easy DIY!
Here you can get a better look at the subway tile over the cabinets...and also how I tend to change things up on the shelves and counters :-) We also changed out the lighting by adding this coastal-vibe chandelier in place of the fluorescent lighting strip that was in here before.
We don't have a separate dining room in our house, just this little eat in dining area. It's a little small for us and how we live and entertain right now, but we make it work. Luckily in Georgia, where we live, the outdoor entertaining season is most of the year!
This hutch is an antique, made by my family years ago- they were furniture makers. I love having it in this space!
Thanks for taking a peek at my kitchen! Check out the full blog post for the full tour!

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Beth

• Marge
    Marge

What did I miss...Took another look, and discovered that doors left open (initially I had thought 'glass'). So much better than black gadgets/gidgets handles visually smacking you in the eye...great idea, job!

• Linda Cox
      Linda Cox

I’m not a fan of subway tile but I love this! Taking it up over the cabinets just elevates the look. Great job!

• Marie Tuttle
    Marie Tuttle

This project looks great, but we live in a mobile home and the cabinets and doors have the picture type finish. Could we paint over the doors as you have. My cabinets are dark reddish mahogany and I was thinking of painting the doors a light color, maybe light tan or ?? Do you or anyone have any suggestions. I love your colors, but my home is mostly tan. Darn, the mobile home manufacturer uses the same color for the whole house. I'm open for any CHEAP ideas as we are retired and on a very tight budget. Thanks, Marie

• Jdp10802608
      Jdp10802608

I had the same problem once but paint those ugly brown walls, paint cabinets and woodwork white. Cheapest and quickest way to get a new look.

Really will make such a difference. We had brown walls, brown cabinets and brown carpet! I hated it! We eventually put down vinyl hardwood through out in a

lighter shade.

• Linda Lu Durk
    Linda Lu Durk

This looks very pretty BUT....I bought a house with 3 smaller glass door cabinets. Im changing to solid doors. I found that i need solid doors because i need all of my cabinet space. Unless you have a large pantry you need storage space for actual food and items that are not pretty and decorative. (Sippy cups, plastic bowls, travel mugs, plastic storage containers, etc, etc...) This (open cabinets) looks nice but how practical is it for the average family?

• Nhill5
      Nhill5

I agree with having no glass in my cabinet doors. Unless you are wealthy and have everything matching it will never look like the pictures! I have things on the shelves neatly organized but I will always keep my solid doors! Seems like too much work to clean glass.

• Janet
    Janet

I agree on the open shelves. No way in this house with 4 dogs.

Just changing the hinges and other hardware would make a 50% difference.

The tile is a huge bonus.

When the time comes, black appliances with a white kitchen is beautiful.

Butcher block is very cost effective as well to update the counters. If not, I would attempt cutting the rounded edge off the peninsula and taking off the shelf. Personally, I love the vintage look of it, but it does not go with your decor now.

• RichandTammy Whiteside
      RichandTammy Whiteside

Agreed - I love the look but definitely not practical for me due to pets & complete lack of maintaining organized cabinets, lol!

• Cheryl Crow
    Cheryl Crow

Beautiful updates. You've encouraged me to get going on my own outdated kitchen. Thank you.