How should I finish painted kitchen cupboards?

+10

A few years ago I painted the cupboards but did not put a finishing coat. The paint around the handles is coming off. Should I put some sort of finishing top coat?

• yes, I would clean and sand a bit to smooth, add another coat or two, then Clear coat.

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Aug 22, 2018

Hi, Start with some light sanding to remove the paint, and remove the hardware. When you paint, lay the doors and draws flat. You must have painted with the hardware on, that's why the paint peeled. Paint with high-gloss, you will not have streaking, or peeling. Paint 2 coats, and let it dry completely, after each coat All you need is a wet dishcloth to clean the cabinets.!

• Joanne Joanne on Aug 22, 2018

Thanks for your advice. I did take all the hardware off, as well as laying them flat. It's just coming off around the handles, I suspect from usage. I like the idea about high gloss.

• William William on Aug 22, 2018

I always seal with three coats of a water based polyurethane. Without a protective sealer all paint will chip from use.

• Mary Mary on Aug 22, 2018

Helo Joanne, my cupboards have polyurethane and the paint doesn't peel off. Apply that over your painted cupboards.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Dec 16, 2020

Polyurethane!!

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Dec 16, 2020

A poly or varnish over paint can prolong the finish.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 16, 2020

old posts popping up this is 2018

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 04, 2021

Hello Joanne,

Maybe buy handles with Back Plates, or add a Plate to the ones you have!