Raised bed Gardens from pallets

The pallets are cut on one side of the center beam and nailed to the frame. The remaining side of the pallets are used to fill the gaps. I then lined the inside with a layer of 40 weight tar paper, 1/4 inch fan-fold insulation ( the pink or blue color type that is put on your house prior to vinyl siding) , then a layer of 6 mil thick black plastic sheeting and finally a layer of professional grade landscap fabric. As these are really deep and off the ground, I used large rocks from a former rock garden to fill in the bottom before filling with "Mels mix" organic compost, vermiculite and peat moss.
The boxes filled with soil and ready for the next step.
Finally almost finished. The cloach was made with pvc pipe, bent into shape. Then covered with agriculural fabric.

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home

• Daniel
    Daniel

Can you provide a blueprint with instructions?
  • Caroline Gerardo
    Caroline Gerardo

A number of your materials are not organic or chemical free, do you worry about this?

• Huntress
    Huntress

Why make a raised bed and just put it on the dirt ? I'm curious because I always thought they were used because the soil wasn't any good. Is it easier because you don't have to do a lot of digging ? Just trying for info and I really like these. Great job.

• Barb Valley
      Barb Valley

It's easier to maintain a garden when it's raised to knee or hip height. I can't get down on my knees anymore. Was able to locate some clean pine 4' x 6' x 2' shipping crates for $5 each. Filled the bottom half with empty milk and soda bottles. Next will place garden soil, at least 12" over the bottles. Nice garden soil is expensive so the rinsed out plastic bottles are inert material and should help so I don't need so much soil.

• Barbara
    Barbara

Love the idea of adding the hoop house - it can not only protect from insect to some degree but also really lengthen your growing season. My plans are for that as well - living in BC, I might even be able to have 4 season beds.

• Darlene George Edwards
    Darlene George Edwards

Yes I'd love to try this!for my sister!