DIY DECOR SHELF

$15

Display memories and style with this unique DIY Decor Shelf. This charming wall shelf makes a nice decorative option; bringing a touch of the outdoors to any room of your home.

Step 1: Prep Work

Find a piece of tree branch you would like to incorporate into your Decor Shelf. I sprayed my branch with insect killer the night before assembling. My friends at YouTube suggested baking the branch in the oven for about 15 minutes to kill any insects. The choice is yours.

Step 2: Cutting the WoodI made my cuts on the miter saw. You can use a circular saw to achieve these cuts. 2 cut were made at 20 inches 1 cut was made at 16 inches Then I clamped the pieces together and took measurements to ensure that the spacing was consistent all the way through. Then, I placed the tree branch near the gap and then scored it with the saw blade to indicate where I would cut. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the branch 1/8 ” longer than it should have been. This way I have room to sand it down.

Step 3: Coating the BranchCut the twigs down to the desired size and sand it down to remove the rough texture and any dirt. Mount the branch to a scrap piece of wood so it stays upright while you use a clear coat Minwax Urethane to seal it.

Step 4: Prepping and JoiningSand down the lumber using 120 grit sand paper and then use 220 grit to complete. I used a biscuit jointer to join the lumbers. Apply glue to the joints and clamp. If you don’t have a jointer you can use a nail gun, dowels, or even screws. If you use screw just fill in the screw head with wood filler before painting or staining.

Step 5: Painting and Finishing It Up I applied 3 light coats of white gloss multipurpose spray paint from Rust-Oleum. Once everything dried I inserted the branch at the open end. A nail gun can be used to secure the branch in place, or can also use screws. Either way, you will have to retouch this area. Another option would be to assemble everything prior to painting and tape off the branch.

Step 6: Mounting End Results Last but not least, use a few screws to attach saw tooth picture hangers to the back of the shelf, hang and enjoy.

For more cool projects visit my website: www.diycreators.comSubscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly videos: https://goo.gl/aWzL1T   Follow me on Instagram for daily post: instagram.com/morediycreators

• Debra Cox

I have a 2 ft log I found floating in the river with both ends chewed in a shape of a pencil ✏️ by a beaver. What’s your thought?

• Grace Terry

Please say more about the "woodworking department at Home Depot or Lowe's." What services do they offer. Thanks!

• Marjean McFadden

jWhy not use a stick on both ends? I think it would look wonderful!!

• Anni Jay

Does the stick or branch need to be dead? Our trees are being trimmed as we speak and I want to keep some to do this...

• Sheila M. Purvis

Glen, you did an awesome job... You definitely have talent and that is an amazingly original project.

• Sunny

This is so cool! I love near the lake. I think I'm going to look for some interesting drift wood to try this. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration! 😎