Colleen Jorgensen
Colleen Jorgensen
  • Placerville, CA

Easy Faux Verdigris on Thrift Store Planter #PowerofPaint

A lot of people hear "faux finish" and immediately think it involves some fancy paint and techniques. It doesn't have to.
easy faux verdigris on thrift store planter, painting, repurposing upcycling
I personally love a verdigris finish because of the turquoise colors. Turquoise is a color that works well all year long.
This was done with a little spray paint and simple craft paint on a $2 planter from the thrift store.
Basecoat the object with copper, bronze or brass – unless it’s one of those colors already
Brush on a deep turquoise paint after the metallic basecoat has dried thoroughly.
Gently wipe off the turquoise from the ‘high’ points with a damp cloth.
Paint on a lighter shade of turquoise. Or just mix some white into the deep turquoise.
Apply white paint with an old bristle brush.
You can add some metallic highlights if you want - lots more tips on the blog.
For only a few bucks, you can have a beautiful "faux finish" without any muss or fuss!
Colleen Jorgensen

1 comment
  • Joanne Goranson

Absolutely! I can't wait to try this. I'm redoing the front yard at our winter home in Arizona after we got rid of all the cactus that was either diseased or planted too close to the walkways. Now there's nothing but rocks. I've been haunting the thrift stores and flea markets and have lots of containers that need something to make them unique and yet create a plan for colors that complement each other. This will be one way to do it that's easy and inexpensive. Thanks for the idea. I'll post a photo once everything is done.