Painted Tile Countertops and Cabinets with SK

This poor old 1950's yellow tile counters and plywood cabinets had seen better days. It was time for an update and she wanted to paint the cabinets red and cream and the old yellow tile to resemble black and gray granite tiles.
painted tile countertops, concrete countertops, countertops, diy, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, painting
This picture is a representative of the counter. The actual counters tiles are on a diamond pattern, but are exactly the same color.
The grout was in very poor shape. Crumbling and cracking. Some grout was missing. We dug out all the old grout using a screwdriver. You can actually buy a tool specifically to remove grout.
These nasty old plywood cabinets needed to be degreased, sanded and primed before painting.
The hinges were gross. They were removed and degreased then painted with a spray hammered iron paint.
Inexpensive handles were in order.
The backsplash grout was in better shape. These tiles were set squared not diamond. We scrubbed the old tile with dawn and vinegar. Then washed with clear water. We sanded all the tiles to give them a "tooth" which is a surface which will grab onto paint.
We re-grouted the entire surface.
We rolled a good blocking bonding primer after sanding the tiles.
It took time for the primer to set. She is a caterer and needed the use of the kitchen in the middle of the project.
Primed and cured for a day.
Ready for paint.
I wet the countertop and then sponged on the different paints never letting my edges dry. This is called a wet-on-wet paint technique. This keeps the edges of the colors blending and much softer. Using a watered down cream paint I flicked spots onto the surface. Then lightly sponged them to lift and soften.
I used a sea sponge and three colors of black, chocolate and taupe from Sherwin and Williams.
Terra Brun:My dark brown
SW 6048
Caviar:My Amish Black. Not a true deep black. This black is not quite as stark as some blacks.
SW 6990
Grecian Ivory: A light taupe.
SW 7541
White.
I used a semi-gloss clear top coat which is manufactured for hard use. We coated this three times.
Each different work surface must have a sealer of some sort.
My copper countertops are the only surface I haven't had to seal. Copper actually has a natural antibiotic property.
Concrete has different issues. I use a food safe sealer. Granite and marble also need to be sealed occasionally. I seal all granite at least once a year. Each of the products need to be researched for food compatibility.
I always do my due diligence before applying a sealer.
Concrete: Cheng Concrete Countertop Sealer. There are others out there.
Natural stone, granite and marble: MB-4 Sealer for Stone.
Do your research. There are great food safe products out there.
My only wish is that I could have gotten better pictures.
Being a caterer, she used this little kitchen and abused these poor countertops. Through all the hard use they still looked great.

To see more: http://sksartell.blogspot.com/2013/09/from-ugly-yellow-to-painted-faux-granite.html

• Melanie Ross

What was your cost to redo your tile counter top? I have a gross old tile counter that desperately NEEDS help. Debating cost to replace or redo?

• Becky

My kitchen tile is at least that bad but live in a rental! I'm not thinking he would be on board with this, but believe me if I find something that I could do for a temporary look, I'd be on it in a New York second! My tile is way more porous and has dark brown grout. UGLY AND OLD!! Even my own grandmother had nicer tile and that was a LONG time ago! I sort of see a gold in one of the pics. Maybe it is just my monitor. I may not have chosen red for the cupboards, but I'll think of something!

Good job!

• Tonyalee Turano
      30 minutes ago

Years ago when I rented. I put contact paper on my counter top. It was fast,cheap,and easy and the landlord didn't complain. It came out beautiful. No one ever knew it was contact paper I had many compliments

• SK on Elderberry

Hi Becky,

I have re-created a whole lot of ugly tiles in my day. What I learned from landlords is that the are all in if you can show them what it will look like and you'll do all the work.

It's a win-win for them.

Good luck and have bunches of fun.

I will be teaching this technique on my tutorial page on Facebook if your interested. Follow and like.

thanks

https://www.facebook.com/SKSartellTutorials/